cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Increasing score the Quickest for New Mortgage - Medical Collections trying to Delete

tag
Emma1137
Valued Member

Advice on Increasing score the Quickest for New Mortgage - Medical Collections trying to Delete

Hi Emma and welcome to myFICO. I moved your thread to the rebuilding board.

I know you are trying to get a mortgage but right now you need to repair/rebuild and then move forward. 

Thanks for your understanding-MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator.

Hi all,

I just want to say thanks firstly for all the great advice offered here.  I have been a lurker for a while and find this a great resource.

I "accidentally" found a great property while looking under the RV sections of Craigslist for an old RV to rehab.  Long story short, I am going to buy the property and I pulled my CR last week and have several items that aren't right and, of thise that are, I need to try and have removed, etc.  Most of the items are medical related from the birth of my some and a car accident several months ago.  Of these medical bills, some are due to my HR person not adding my son so they are incorrect.  Yesterday, I was able to contact two of the OCs as well as the corresponding collection companies and they are going to get the insurance updated to reduce the debt accordingly and I am paying my share (the remaining balance) in full right away.  They have agreed to delete the accounts from my report.  That would be 2 collections and two of the OC accounts.   I will try to do that with the others as well but obviously some may be less cooperative.

One other glaring item is another medical collection that has 3 listings on my CR only the highest of which I think may be accurate.  I assume the 2 that aren't correct will be easier to remove but but the final one may be harder.  It's actually for something that I could argue I didn't approve but it's a gray area.  I don't have the $1000 (the largest bill amount) right now but I'm wondering if I need to "find" the funds if I want both the orig debt and the coll account to be deleted.  I assume I can't settle for less and get it deleted.  Also, if they won't delete, I assume should leave them as is and not risk any updating sinve they are several years old.   

When the 4 acconts I described first are deleted, I'm wondering if that will be enough to get my score up 100 points which is where I need to be.  I am worried about doing anything that could risk a re-reporting such as a settlement unless I get a written PFD.

Other than these medical debts, I have a few credit cards that have never been late on and I recently paid them all down to about 10% Util hoping I will get a score jump for that as well.  Nothing yet but it may take a couple of weeks.  Can i call the cc companies and ask them to report now?  

I plan on cleaning all of these up after the closing but my main concern right now is raising my score right away and not doing anything to risk any further nedative reporting.

Any advice?  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice on Increasing score the Quickest for New Mortgage - Medical Collections trying to Delete

For  unpaid medical debt:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

You want 1 CC reporting a balance of less than 10% of its individual CL the rest at 0. Some crditors may do an immediate update for you. Now as far as the medicals some mortgage people will overlook them others wont.

Message 2 of 5
Emma1137
Valued Member

Re: Advice on Increasing score the Quickest for New Mortgage - Medical Collections trying to Delete

Thank you.  That helps.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to find out what scoring model your potential lender uses. The newest version of FICO is supposed to exclude $0 balance medical collections, even those that are settled. Not many mortgage lenders use it, though. 

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

You may want to find out what scoring model your potential lender uses. The newest version of FICO is supposed to exclude $0 balance medical collections, even those that are settled. Not many mortgage lenders use it, though. 

0 mortgage lenders use it AFAIK  they are still using Fico 04 and some still use 98.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.