Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Merchandise Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on Merchandise Cards

I am thinking about getting a merchandise card but I would like some advice on what company to go with.

Who should I go with? Who do they report to? What are the costs?

My husband and I are working very very hard to get our 1st home.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
NikkiSmiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Merchandise Cards

I'd love to know this answer too.  The other thing I'd like to know...is there a way to find out which companies use which reporting agencies?  My equifax score is higher than the others, so if I were going to apply for a merchandise card I'd want to try and find one that would use the higher score, so I can open a new account and hopefully improve the others.  

Thanks.
Message 2 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Some here swear by them.

IMO, I would stay away. They don't always report to all 3 and you are paying large fees or are paying too much for overpriced stuff you probably don't need.

I started with 0 CCs last August. I know it is hard to get that first one. Don't be afraid to start with a secured card if you had to; it will save you $$.
Message 3 of 20
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

I would stay away from them If I were you, I  after reading your post and I went on a search pay attention to whom they report to!

© 2008 First Plus Platinum, a leader in independent credit line providers.
*Cash advances provided by First Advance Lending Center, an independent company.

We report your credit line and payments to PRBC, a national credit bureau, which may improve your credit score

Message Edited by hoping2rebuild on 09-12-2008 06:14 PM

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 4 of 20
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

Found the exact same disclosure for another "merchandise" card.
I have never heard of this CRA that they are refering to.

© 2008 Global Gold Credit, a leader in independent credit line providers.
*Cash advances provided by First Advance Lending Center, an independent company.
We report your credit line and payments to PRBC, a national credit bureau, which may improve your credit score

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

What the heck is a merchandise card?
Message 6 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

UpUpUp wrote:

I was assuming a generic term for companies like Ox Publishing, Crown Jewelers, and others where typically high fees are involved or are limited in reporting and often involve over-priced items. Each year I get one for some sort of "Union" with a $10k CL. Tons of fine print. I have to buy their stuff. They did send a catalog stuff and left me unimpressed.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooooh. So sort of like a finger hut I guess.

llecs wrote:

UpUpUp wrote:

I was assuming a generic term for companies like Ox Publishing, Crown Jewelers, and others where typically high fees are involved or are limited in reporting and often involve over-priced items. Each year I get one for some sort of "Union" with a $10k CL. Tons of fine print. I have to buy their stuff. They did send a catalog stuff and left me unimpressed.

Message 8 of 20
Candice
Contributor

Crown Jewelers is one that a lot of people on here have used. Anything else I would stay away from. CJ reports to TU and EX (but no EQ).
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really meant department store cards; Sears, Home Depot, Boscovs etc...     Sorry for the miscommunication. I still have the same question though.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.