Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Merchandise Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Merchandise Cards

I really misspoke and meant department store cards; Sears, Boscovs, JC Penny etc.  
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I really meant dept. store cards. 
Message 12 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Store charge cards?

FICO does like to see at least one. I'm partial to Macys. They tend to give a higher CL, you can request a CLI every 3 months with great history, they are more generous with their CLIs (I just went from $800 to $1500 last month), and they have great customer service. Can't go wrong. And in time if approved for a Visa, the store charge card will continue to report and the Visa will report separately, so you don't have to worry about losing the mix.

Most all store charge cards report to all 3. No costs, other than a higher-than-average interest rate. Don't app for a store charge card if you plan to get a home within the next 6 months.
Message 13 of 20
angelalala
Valued Member

I got one from Old Navy recently; they definitely report at least to Experian.  I haven't pulled my other reports yet, sorry.
5/2013: TU 646 Eq 622 Ex 738
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:
Store charge cards?

FICO does like to see at least one. I'm partial to Macys. They tend to give a higher CL, you can request a CLI every 3 months with great history, they are more generous with their CLIs (I just went from $800 to $1500 last month), and they have great customer service. Can't go wrong. And in time if approved for a Visa, the store charge card will continue to report and the Visa will report separately, so you don't have to worry about losing the mix.

Most all store charge cards report to all 3. No costs, other than a higher-than-average interest rate. Don't app for a store charge card if you plan to get a home within the next 6 months.

@llecs wrote:
Store charge cards?

Does anyone know what the minimum credit score is for Macy's/JCPenney/Sears card? EQ 605, EX 609, TU 599 Note: My scores have increased +100 in 18 months. I've been working diligently to Be Good. I have 1 MasterCard, 1 Visa, and 1 MetroStyle card. Balances should be paid off near the end of the month (so my Debt-To-Income ratio improves).
Message 15 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

mvtwoods wrote:

Does anyone know what the minimum credit score is for Macy's/JCPenney/Sears card? EQ 605, EX 609, TU 599 Note: My scores have increased +100 in 18 months. I've been working diligently to Be Good. I have 1 MasterCard, 1 Visa, and 1 MetroStyle card. Balances should be paid off near the end of the month (so my Debt-To-Income ratio improves).

I was approved for Macys at an EX FICO of 648 last fall. DW was approved with EX at or near 620.

If you apply at the store, you should have a greater chance for approval and a greater chance for a higher CL. I don't know about now, but you used to have to present a CC at time of approval if ID verification purposes.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why a merchandise card?
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

llecs wrote:
Store charge cards?

With regards to this, I've found that Macy's store card application is actually for a Visa through Macy's, as are many other store cards nowadays.  I would like to know if this kind of card shows up as a Merchandise Card/Dept Store Card or if it shows up as simply another Visa.  I already have 2 Visa's and an MC, so I don't think it would be prudent to get another.  But I would certainly like to have a Merchandise card if FICO likes to see one.

BTW, I'm single, scores ranging between 695 - 704.

Do you know how one of these Merchandise/Dept Store Cards might appear to FICO?

Tim

Message Edited by shel3702 on 09-24-2008 10:27 AM

Message Edited by shel3702 on 09-24-2008 10:28 AM
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

One word of caution about Macy's cards - they can give nice credit increases, but they can and will also do decreases for no warning. My husbands card took a 300 decrease, and why? for inactivity! They give no warning, and they may not give it back if you call - so that's one thing to think about.

If it were between Macy's and JC Penneys, I'd go with JC - very generous with CLI $200-$300 at a time.

Message 19 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ah...old thread bumpage. I was trying to figure out why I was endorsing Macys. Macys was great up to the point they killed off the reporting of the CLs. Now I wish mine wouldn't report.

On CLDs, yep...I just checked CLs for DW and myself after not caring since they did what they did last spring. DWs dropped about $400. She hadn't used it since last Christmas. I had not used mine since Feb/Mar and is still at $3200, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with that soon.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.