ikkin

Advice on Merchandise Cards

I am thinking about getting a merchandise card but I would like some advice on what company to go with.

Who should I go with? Who do they report to? What are the costs?

My husband and I are working very very hard to get our 1st home.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Nikki:smileyvery-happy:
poorchic

Re: Advice on Merchandise Cards

I'd love to know this answer too.  The other thing I'd like to know...is there a way to find out which companies use which reporting agencies?  My equifax score is higher than the others, so if I were going to apply for a merchandise card I'd want to try and find one that would use the higher score, so I can open a new account and hopefully improve the others.  

Thanks.
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Some here swear by them.

IMO, I would stay away. They don't always report to all 3 and you are paying large fees or are paying too much for overpriced stuff you probably don't need.

I started with 0 CCs last August. I know it is hard to get that first one. Don't be afraid to start with a secured card if you had to; it will save you $$.
Established Contributor
hoping2rebuild

[ Edited ]
I would stay away from them If I were you, I  after reading your post and I went on a search pay attention to whom they report to!

© 2008 First Plus Platinum, a leader in independent credit line providers.
*Cash advances provided by First Advance Lending Center, an independent company.

We report your credit line and payments to PRBC, a national credit bureau, which may improve your credit score

Message Edited by hoping2rebuild on 09-12-2008 06:14 PM

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Established Contributor
hoping2rebuild

Found the exact same disclosure for another "merchandise" card.
I have never heard of this CRA that they are refering to.

© 2008 Global Gold Credit, a leader in independent credit line providers.
*Cash advances provided by First Advance Lending Center, an independent company.
We report your credit line and payments to PRBC, a national credit bureau, which may improve your credit score

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Senior Contributor
UpUpUp

What the heck is a merchandise card?
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

UpUpUp wrote:

I was assuming a generic term for companies like Ox Publishing, Crown Jewelers, and others where typically high fees are involved or are limited in reporting and often involve over-priced items. Each year I get one for some sort of "Union" with a $10k CL. Tons of fine print. I have to buy their stuff. They did send a catalog stuff and left me unimpressed.
Senior Contributor
UpUpUp

Ooooh. So sort of like a finger hut I guess.

llecs wrote:

UpUpUp wrote:

I was assuming a generic term for companies like Ox Publishing, Crown Jewelers, and others where typically high fees are involved or are limited in reporting and often involve over-priced items. Each year I get one for some sort of "Union" with a $10k CL. Tons of fine print. I have to buy their stuff. They did send a catalog stuff and left me unimpressed.

Contributor
Candice

Crown Jewelers is one that a lot of people on here have used. Anything else I would stay away from. CJ reports to TU and EX (but no EQ).
Age: 24 | AAoA: 2.0 Years | TU Fico: 626 (April 2013) | EX Fako: 608 | EQ Fico: 601 (April 2013)
Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: April 16, 2013 - Next App: November 2013
Discover More: $500 | Target RedCard: $200 | CareCredit: $1800 | Apple Barclaycard: $1700 | Amazon: $600
poorchic

I really meant department store cards; Sears, Home Depot, Boscovs etc...     Sorry for the miscommunication. I still have the same question though.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+