Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Removing Collection Account?

tag
creditdemon
New Contributor

Advice on Removing Collection Account?

Hi, I have a very old account with Verizon that was sent to collections, apparently, even though I resolved it before it was sent - but I have no proof and Ive filed disputes with the collection agencies and they keep coming back as validated.   This debt is scheduled to fall off in about a year, but I'd really just like to see this gone and I dont know what to do about this so I guess I'm just going to have to try and do a PFD with the collection agency...or wait. I'm really pissed about this though because I dont owe anything.

Anyways, I am worried about how to word the PFD because I guess technically the debt would belong to me, but it shouldn't and I am worried a poor choice of words will cause them to re-age the account.  With a year to go I definitely do not want a re-age. Also, this is 760 bucks, which is a lot for me.  I'd be willing to pay 200 at most, and I'm not even sure they would take that.  I kinda want to be like - hey, heres 200 even though I shouldnt have to pay you anything, and if you don't like it - fine don't take it I will just wait a year and get it removed.  I think since the California statute of limitations is 5 years, they can't take me to court right - so they can either take the 200 or get nothing.    Will this just piss them off?  

The collection agency handling this is Pinnacle

Any advice on best way to handle this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice on Removing Collection Account?

Yes, you can send them a PFD like that, and I like that you didn't acknowledge the debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

First reaction is that  the statement that the debt will be "removed" once the collection is excluded and SOL has expired will most likely fall on deaf ears.

The debt will remain. 

What will be "removed" is their ability to obtain a judgment for its satisfaction, and the ability of others to become aware of the unpaid debt by simply pulling your credit report.  Stating that you should not have to pay an obligated debt is not likely to facilitate a settlement.

They can continue efforts, such a periodic pull of your CR.  And the future chance always exists that in an app for new credit, the prospective creditor will become aware of the debt, and require its satisfaction as a condition for grant of any new credit.

I would not throw assertions of lack of obligation or "removal" of debt in their face.  It may breed ill-will if or when you atttempt to negotiate a settlement.

Message 3 of 4
polno1234
Contributor

a validatation from cra is faulty in and of itself. contact the oc and they should be able to send you something on what you paid. send a dv letter to the ca asking for information on how they arrived at the amount they say you owe. ie original debt interest accrued and fees. this should give you something to work with and a more worthwhile dispute if you obtain this info post back when you recieve it.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.