cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Using Credit Card and Keeping Utilization Low On My Credit Reports Somewhat Confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on Using Credit Card and Keeping Utilization Low On My Credit Reports Somewhat Confused

I have 2 new cards both Capital One first ones in over 5 years.  My credit limit is $300 on one account and $500 on the other one.  If I want to use these to pay bills I would normally have to pay anyway (electric, gas, groceries etc) is it ok to charge up to my limit? I would then pay it off or pay down enough to be below the 30% utilization goal.  This would have to be done before the statement ending date correct?  If not then the high utilization would report to all 3 credit bureau's is that right?  I don't want to mess this up it took me too long to get back to where I am.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Using Credit Card and Keeping Utilization Low On My Credit Reports Somewhat Confused

Yes, that is the best way to use them. I put virtually all of my bills and expenses through them.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Using Credit Card and Keeping Utilization Low On My Credit Reports Somewhat Confused

Thank you I though that was the best way. Do I need to make the payment back a week or so before the statement closing date? Do the cc companies look at balance on closing date or couple of days before?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the lender. With Capital One, I can make an online payment, and it will be credited the same day if its before 4PM. Same with Barclays.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reported balance is almost always going to be the balance on the day the statement closes.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use to pay daily expenses - well most, and to pay bills - some as I'm getting used to what I can use a card for and which are set up on autopay checking account and I need to move to cards.  

It's a new process for me so I pay off/down on payday and again a couple days before the statement cuts - just to make sure the payment applied in time - then I put a sticky note on the card in my wallet so I don't accidently use it again until after the statement cuts (I have two Cap One Cards and have a tendency to mix up which cuts when so this helps).     

I have 2 cards that cut early in the month - around the 6th - and 2 more that cut around the 15th.   

I always have at least ONE that is available.....So far that is working for me.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to do the same thing with switching things around. Thanks for your input.

Message 7 of 8
crrredit
Established Contributor

I keep a pretty detailed online calendar for my credit issues. I usually aim to pay the cards to $0 on the scheduled payment date, which is usually 3 days before the next statement date. I use my bank billpay. Because it's an electronic transfer and not a check payment, it posts the day they receive payment, so it's pretty easy to schedule accurately. 

When a credit card is paid to zero, and I don't want to use it until after the statement cuts, I transfer the card to a different section of my wallet. The cards that I don't want to use are harder to get to, so I rarely use the wrong one. The thing that usually tricks me up is when I use a card to schedule regular payments, i.e. MyFico billing. Also, sometimes a transaction will update a couple days later, like a restaurant tab or when I pump gas. I've had to make last-minute $3 payments sometimes to try to keep the balance at $0. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.