Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Verizon DSL Bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on Verizon DSL Bill

My husband has an old bill from 2011 on his credit report.  He deployed in 2011 and then we ETS out of the military when he returned from deployment.  I thought we had called and turned off the service but either that never happened or they didn't process the request properly.  The amount is definitely easily paid ($150). The credit report lists it as charged off and last reported in Oct 2015.  According to the CR it's due to drop off May 2018.  There is no collection agency listing on this just the original Verizon.  Should I try to PFD or just let it fall off natural?  Not really sure what to do about this one.   

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Advice on Verizon DSL Bill

You can definitely ask for a PFD.

When I cancelled our cell phone service with Verizon, I asked for the name and the employee number and the call center location that I had called.  I asked for a confirmation number  for my request.  I asked for a letter to be sent confirming the account was closed effective a certain date.  And I asked how and when the refund would come.

I went beyond what I would normally do becuase Verizon has a reputation for "forgetting" that a customer has discontinued service.

If it were me, I would ask for a PFD and I would take care of the bill asap, regardless of what they say.

EDITED to add - there is another post in this section (Verizon Collection DELETED!!) that discusses Verizon deletion.  I am getting ready to cancel my Verizon FIOS and will definitely being documenting the heck out of it, as I did with the cell phone service.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice on Verizon DSL Bill

The first question is whether you wish to dispute the debt.  One usually does not wish to pay a debt that is not theirs.

You might decide, even if you feel the debt is not legit, to offer a PFD, which will prevent a debt collector from reporting, and also remove the CO.

That is the simplist path, but will cost you a few bucks.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.