Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a battle plan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on a battle plan?

CURRENTLY: As of yesterday: EQ: 703, EX: 666, TU: 635 Scheduled to come off 3/1: Tax Lien (11k), two medical collections ($1900 total). Negotiating: CA PFD (Chase-24k), DirecTV collection ($237-they say I suspended service when in fact I cancelled it when I sold my house, still have to return box to them, which makes up the vast majority of money due). I'd like to have these squared away within a month. Beyond that, my old mortgage, etc. shows good history, free and clear. At the present time, I have no credit cards whatsoever, only a debit card. No car payments, no mortgage, no installment/revolving any sort of credit whatsoever. I'm self-employed and make a good living. WHAT I WANT TO DO: I'm moving to NYC, to base myself out of there for work purposes. More money/opportunity. Would like to jack up the scores before the prospective landlords pull a CR. Also, like everyone else here, jack up my scores as much as possible within the next three-four months. BUT NOW WHAT? In order to prove credit worthiness, how shall I go about it? A secured card or two? Should I go for an unsecured card? A store card? Do I get a small bank/credit union loan and pay it off right away? Your thoughts appreciated! (sorry it's all one paragraph, I'm tryyyying to space it, but can't seem to on an iPad grrrrrgh)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on a battle plan?

shameless bump...
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd get a secured card or two and focus on repair. Also, check the source for your scores. If you have no open credit accounts (e.g. loans, CC, auto, mortgage, etc.), then you don't have a FICO score. Mentioning that just in case you run into a creditor who might pull a FICO.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

my score source was a pull from TU I bought online (I know it's not 100% on the money, buuuut...) With that said, I can get a Secured CC from BofA with a range from $300-4900, depending on how much I deposit. Would it behoove me to go for the higher balance, knowing I'm simply going to PIF every month, yet show that it's a good/high balance?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.