Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a weird collection please?

tag
KnewBee
New Contributor

Advice on a weird collection please?

Have a weird collection. In early 2008 left a condo I owned that I could no longer afford and thought they were foreclosing immediately. The city water department had a quarterly storm drain assessment they would bill me for every 3 months. My date of first delinquency on this account was around 2/2008. Never paid it again. It actually took the bank almost 2 years to Foreclose which it did officially on 12/09. I recently discovered a collection through a CA with the city as the original creditor for the unpaid storm drain Assesment from 2/08 to 12/09 while I was still on the condos title. 

I would like to take care of this, but two issues. 1. The current amount is about twice what the total unpaid assessments were, im guessing due to fees and interest. 2. The CA is not reporting a DOFD, but it shows on all my reports as coming off around 12/2016. So it looks like they are using the Foreclosure date of 12/2009 as the DOFD when it should be the first payment I missed and never paid again which was 2/2008,

My plan is to DV them and ask how they are calculating the amount. I will then offer a PFD because I want to handle this, but if they refuse a PFD, I would at least like them to agree to remove it on the correct date, before I pay it so the paid collection doesn't show for almost an extra two years. This shows as an open utility collection which makes me look really flakey (which I kind of am I guess, but not that flakey!) Am I on the right track with my plan here or does anyone have any other advice? Thanks! 

Starting Scores: 9/19/2012 EQ 613 / TU 526 / EX 543
Current Scores: EQ 716 TU 724 EX 724 Goal Scores: 700
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice on a weird collection please?

Yes, send the DV.  The DOFD is the first time you went delinquint on the account and didn't bring it back up to current.  It has nothing to do with the foreclosure date.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.