cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on bumping credit score after a collection?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on bumping credit score after a collection?

Hi all, first post here.  I read through the guidelines and am still looking through credit scoring 101, and various other docs, but wanted to list my situation specifically and see what advice might crop up alongside the generic advice I'm finding on the website.

I purchased my first house in 1999.  At that point I was fairly young (23), had some fairly low credit card balances (~$2k maybe), car payments, etc.  Probably typical debts for someone just starting on their own out of college.  As fate would have it, I lost my job shortly after I purchased the house.  My income went from around ~40k a year down to 20k (unemployment and part time work only for nearly 2 years.)

I made ends meet by using my credit cards where I could and cutting expenses.  In retrospect, of course, I don't think I ever would have purchased a house at all until my credit card debts were paid and probably my car was paid in full.  I'm guessing my story isn't unfamiliar on a forum such as this.

So, eventually I get a new job and have been gainfully employed ever since 2002.  In fact, I've been fortunate enough to raise my salary from that 40k previous position to nearly 6 figures in about 5 years.  Unfortunately, in the time that I was unemployed, I hit the max on my credit balances and could no longer afford to pay them.  I was able to afford minimum payments, but the credit companies (both of them) jacked my interest rate from ~12% up to 25% when I was late on payments during my unemployment.  I literally called them both and said "I'm not (and can't) paying you anything anymore, you're taking advantage of me when I have no job."

Both credit card companies moved that debt to collections agencies, and I basically held those companies off until I was able to get employed again and save up enough to pay them off in full.

At this point in my life I still have my original house that I purchased, and that is the only debt I have.  My vehicle is paid off, I paid off the collection debts, I paid off my student loans, and I have no credit cards debt (or credit cards at all for that matter.)

Since that time I was married (my wife has no credit history, as her parents paid for everything in her life with cash before now) and we're looking to move closer to our places of employment.  We're renting a place in our current city and renting out the aforementioned house.  I fear we will end up with a horrible interest rate if we purchase a house now, assuming we could even get a loan (my equifax score is only a 604 currently, it appears.)

Our combined salaries are approximately ~150k a year and we have no debt.  However, obviously my credit score has suffered from these previous setbacks.  The only other thing that likely affected my credit score was occasional late payments on my mortgage.  Citifinancial Mortgage didn't allow you to pay a bill online or automatically until literally a few months ago, so I was stuck calling in via telephone to pay.  Occasionally I might be a day or two late if it was a weekend and I didn't get to call until the following week, etc.

My next question should be obvious.. how do I go about improving my/our credit score?  From my perspective I've always repaid money I've borrowed or have owed, but obviously when I lost my job I couldn't do it in the manner I wish I could have.  We're purposely living way under our means now so if one of us lose our jobs we can still easily pay all of our bills, and refuse to take on any debt that's not completely necessary (car or mortgage are all we consider acceptable debt.)

Are there ways to make these collections "look" better or to raise my/our credit score even with these on the report for the next ~5 years?  Any other thoughts or clarifying questions?  Thank you for reading, any responses are appreciated.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on bumping credit score after a collection?

Welcome to the forum Perm.  Please ask as many question as you need!!

We need more info from you.

What is your SOL?   Please list all your baddies. Who is reporting an OC, CA or both?   What is the DOFD/DOLA

SOL

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20040116b2.asp?caret=8

An OC or a CA can report for 7-7.5 years after DOFD!!!   Unless you use a PFD!

Are there ways to make these collections "look" better or to raise my/our credit score even with these on the report for the next ~5 years?  Any other thoughts or clarifying questions?

Remember that collections delete approx 7 years from DOFD not the date that they were paid!!

Look at you CR for the drop date that is reported by EX and TU.  Make sure that you keep hard copies of all CR!!!

FICO reads the Report Date and they do not care if an OC or CA is reporting a collection as paid or unpaid!!!  Paying will not help your scores if they continue to report!

You and your wife will have separate CR!!!   The only thing that will be the same is joint accounts or as an AU.

I would try to clear all the collections that you can before looking for new CCs!!!

CCs are considered new for 1 year. after that year you will see a score increase (slight)

CCs count more toward scores then an installment loan!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-16-2009 09:31 AM
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

>Welcome to the forum Perm.  Please ask as many question as you need!!

Thank you!

>We need more info from you.

Ok, I'll do my best.

>What is your SOL?   Please list all your baddies. Who is reporting an OC, CA or both?   What is the DOFD/DOLA

SOL: Indiana 10 6 10 6

As far as who is reporting, I assume an OC would be reporting, possibly a CA, but I don't know.  All I have is my "free" FICO score I just received via this forum/website.  It wasn't specific about who was reporting what, it just gave me my score.

DOFD/DOLA - I'm unsure.  I don't have the details that you're asking.  Where can I find them?  I assume DOFD would be in the ~2003 range?

>An OC or a CA can report for 7-7.5 years after DOFD!!!   Unless you use a PFD!

This is the type of information I'd like... how do I go about doing a "Pay For Delete"?  What's the approximate cost, qualifications?  Can you lead me to a website and any initial information I might need?

>Remember that collections delete approx 7 years from DOFD not the date that they were paid!!

Ok.

>Look at you CR for the drop date that is reported by EX and TU.  Make sure that you keep hard copies of all CR!!!

How can I find this?  Do I need to buy credit reports from all of these places?

>FICO reads the Report Date and they do not care if an OC or CA is reporting a collection as paid or unpaid!!!  Paying will not help your scores if they continue to report!

So the upshot is I need to ensure they aren't continuing to report an unpaid debt, I think I have this part down, just not sure how to go about doing that.

>You and your wife will have separate CR!!!   The only thing that will be the same is joint accounts or as an AU.

Understood.  I think I was just kind of wondering how joint purchases work.  Do they average the partners' score together, take the highest or lowest or what?

>I would try to clear all the collections that you can before looking for new CCs!!!

We're not really looking for new CCs, but thank you for the advice in case we do look for one.

>CCs are considered new for 1 year. after that year you will see a score increase (slight)

We don't have any.

>CCs count more toward scores then an installment loan!

So we should get a couple CCs after we clear the collections, so our score goes higher then?

Thank you for the reply.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get your free annual reports, as these reports come directly from the CRA and provide much more information than reports you'll get elsewhere, like on myFICO or TrueCredit.

From your original post, it appears you have paid these past due CC? If so, PFD is out of the question, but you can GW.

However, they only remain 7 - 7 1/2 years from DOFD and from your original post it sounds as these went delinquent prior to 2002. This means they should all be off or fairly close to it.

Lates will remain for 7 years from the date they occur.

Once you pull your free reports, we can better help you as you (and us) will know exactly what you (and us) are dealing with.

SOL is irrelevant on paid debts.

Adding a CC, if you don't have one, can cause your score to increase. However, I would hold off on that for just now until we see what you have on your reports.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.