Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on dealing with debt collector/past due Verizon Wireless bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on dealing with debt collector/past due Verizon Wireless bill

Hello, 

I am looking for some advice in dealing with a collections letter I received on 6-9-17.  It is from a company called Receivables Performance Management LLC.  It is saying I owe them $386.94 for an old Verizon Wireless bill I never paid.  I have quite a few questions about the situation, so I am listing them below:

1)  I did have a cell phone wtih Verizon, stopped paying the bill, and they eventually permanently cut off my service.   In addition to a few months of service I owed them, they also assessed an "Early Termination Fee" of 135.90.  This brought my total owed up to $327.92.  This was back in Feb '16.  Can they do this - assess an early termination fee?  I really only owed them a couple of hundred dollars at the most.  

2)  I then got a collection letter from a Valentie & Kebartis company, trying to collect the $327.92 in Feb of 2016.  To me it does look like an official debt verification letter, as it states the original debtor (Verizon), the correct amount ($327.92), and the statement about me needing to dispute within 30 days.  I didn't take any action on this, and have not received any further letters from this company.  

3)  Since then I have received letters from three more (all different) collection agencies attempting to collect the debt.  One letter was received April 2016, one June 2016, and the last one was sent in June of this year (2017).  None of the companies have sent more than one letter.  I am wondering why they are all contacting me on the same debt from Verizon?  Is this legal?  None of them contain official debt verification letters stating for me to contact them within 30 days to dispute.  They do all say that they are colleting a Verizon debt and list the same account number Verizon used when I was with them.  What should I do about this?  

4)  When I checked my credit report in April of this year (2017) it does show that I have a closed account with Verizon and a past due balance of $327.00.  The payment status section says " Seriously past due, assigned to collection agency".  I understand that part, but under the collections section of my report, it shows no collections accounts.  

How do I best resolve this situation in order to do the least amount of damage to my credit report, and also make sure I am paying the correct collection company?  Why haven't the other companies sent an official debt verificaiton letter?  I am planning on only offering a small amount in order to be done with this, but will that show up as negative "settled" on my credit report instead of "paid in full?"

Any assistance anyone can offer me is greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on dealing with debt collector/past due Verizon Wireless bill

IF its only showing on your CR's as Verizon, I would call them ASAP and see if you can pay them directly, immediately, before a collection agency pops up....  I had a bad accout with them... it did go to collections, but it never showed on my CR's.... I called Verizon, had them recall the debt, and settled with them for 35 cents on the dollar... 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info.

I am wondering if settling with Verizon will show up negatively on my credit report?  I would love to settle, but perhaps if I want to improve my credit score/report, I would be better off paying the entire amount?  Thanks! 

Message 3 of 4
camniamom
Established Member

Yes they can asses the early termination fee if you didn't complete the contract. It looks like they pro-rated the fee though because it's usually somewhere around $350.

Did you check all three credit reports to ensure that it wasn't showing up on any? I had a similiar issue with AT&T and it only showed up on 2 of the 3 reports.

I wasn't able to work with AT&T for my bill so I ended up paying the collection in full. It's a paid collection on the 2 reports now

Starting scores: EX: 498 TU: 514 EQ: 521
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.