Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on managing new credit

tag
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Advice on managing new credit

Hi all!

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit for the 100th time. I feel like I've been out of the credit scene for years since I filed Ch. 7 (2012) and Ch. 13 (2014). I am trying to hard to make better choices and improve my credit. So far I have the following new accounts:
● Fingerhut w/ SL 200 (limit increased to 600)
● Capital One secured w/ limit of 200
● Capital One QS1 w/ limit of 500

How should I manage these cards with the purpose of increasing my scores?. They currently hover between 590-610.
Should I carry a small Balance or PIF and let a 0 Balance report. If my due date is 5/2, when does the balance report? Should I use heavily throughout the month and makeep multiple payments. Obviously these are low limits so I was thinking of using them for bills and paying them off every month.

Any advise would greatly be appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5
huck1081
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice on managing new credit

Personally I would not use anything on the fingerhut or Cap One secured, or just make sure they report a 0 balance each month. I would use the crap out of the QS1. You get 1.5% cash back, plus Cap One likes heavy usage which can result in CLI. Pay it off multiple times per month and make sure it reports under 10% utilization when the statement cuts.

Starting: EQ 501 TU 514 EX 533 (12/2014)
Current: EQ 613 TU 625 EX 615 (4/1/2016) Goal: 640 and a new home loan
Message 2 of 6
huck1081
Regular Contributor

@shalane85 wrote:
Hi all!

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit for the 100th time. I feel like I've been out of the credit scene for years since I filed Ch. 7 (2012) and Ch. 13 (2014). I am trying to hard to make better choices and improve my credit. So far I have the following new accounts:
● Fingerhut w/ SL 200 (limit increased to 600)
● Capital One secured w/ limit of 200
● Capital One QS1 w/ limit of 500

How should I manage these cards with the purpose of increasing my scores?. They currently hover between 590-610.
Should I carry a small Balance or PIF and let a 0 Balance report. If my due date is 5/2, when does the balance report? Look on your statement, and whatever date it shows will be when you want to show under 10%. I believe it cuts three days after your due date. Should I use heavily throughout the month and makeep multiple payments. Obviously these are low limits so I was thinking of using them for bills and paying them off every month.

Any advise would greatly be appreciated!

Starting: EQ 501 TU 514 EX 533 (12/2014)
Current: EQ 613 TU 625 EX 615 (4/1/2016) Goal: 640 and a new home loan
Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@huck1081 wrote:
Personally I would not use anything on the fingerhut or Cap One secured, or just make sure they report a 0 balance each month. I would use the crap out of the QS1. You get 1.5% cash back, plus Cap One likes heavy usage which can result in CLI. Pay it off multiple times per month and make sure it reports under 10% utilization when the statement cuts.

I agree with this thought process. The QS1 will get you more in the long run.  You do need to keep it under 10% util for statement cuts. As long as you do this, things should move forward in a good direction.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Should i just close the secured? Since they approved my QS1 I figured I'd likely get approved for thexample unsecured platinum.
Message 5 of 6
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Happy to report you both were right. I use the QS1 for everything. I spend about 2k per month on a 500 limit card. I hit the luv bug recently and saw an increase to 3k. Not too shabby Smiley Happy
@RM21 wrote:

@huck1081 wrote:

I agree with this thought process. The QS1 will get you more in the long run.  You do need to keep it under 10% util for statement cuts. As long as you do this, things should move forward in a good direction.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.