cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on new collectio

tag
shonami

Advice on new collectio

My husband just pulled his report...and there is a new collection (Feb 2013)  that dropped his FICO score about 50 points, to 591.  It's an AT&T mobility  collection.   

We are willing to pay in full...but I am unsure what steps to take at this point, obviously a PFD is an option, but what about going back to OC?  

He also has an old collection from 2008 for 258, its a medical collection left over from our sons stay in the hopsital. NOt sure if I should leave that one there or not.

His only other baddies are late payments we both experience during a job layoff, one month for 7 diferent creditors back in 2009.  I am sending GW's out for those. 

We are so hoping to apply for mortgage this year.  

While I am at it, I just received a letter from a colelction agency for a something..not sure what it is actually.   I am sending a DV letter..will that stop it from posting on report..it has not shown up yet.  And I have clawed my way up from a 470 to a 620 after my layoff (with no GW letters sent yet to creditors for those cluster of late payments)=, i dont want this posting and dropping it when I am so close to getting to that score above 620 (my first goal)  It says client is Check Plus Systemms, and original creditor is HSN (Home Shopping Network?)  I am at a loss.  No date of original debt etc.  

Any advice absolutely appreciated. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Advice on new collectio

Contact the OC, see if they still own it and will accept payment and recall the debt from the CA. (For ATT)

The medical collection would need to be paid either before or during your mortgage process.

Yes, a timely DV will put in place a cease collection bar and they will not be able to report.  Get it out ASAP.

Message 2 of 5
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Agree with Guiness.  As someone who knows this sort of thing, if you visit an AT&T store, you can have the rep pull up your old account by SSN, and in most cases pay it right then and there.  (This depends on several factors including age)

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 3 of 5
shonami

That will change status on CR to paid, right, not delete. It?
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Not if ATT recalls the debt from the CA.  They will no longer have collection authority and need to delete.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.