Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on next CC to apply for

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on next CC to apply for

the details on my "dirt" I have a Bankruptcy discharged July 2013. one Capitol one platinum MasterCard account with a credit line of 2,750.00 once capitol one quicksilver Visa with a credit limit of 750.00 both of those accounts were opened in Aug. 2013 I have a secured USAA MasterCard with a limit of 400.00 that will come to renew in Aug. it was opened in Aug. of 2013. I do not plan to renew that as it is a low limit and not doing me any good correct?

All three cards are paid down to zero balance and usual carry 25 dollars or so.

My scores as of today are; Experian 636  equifax 655  TransUnion 640.

So I am asking you more knowledgeable people where should I go from here. I am not buying any major purchases, just building my score, looking for that third CC to raise my average available credit.

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice on next CC to apply for

I would try and get the  Barclays Rewards card.

Message 2 of 11
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

You're on the cusp of the Chase Freedom card. Do the pre-qual and see if they "find an offer for you!" 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was under the impression chase doesn't play ball with people that have a discharged bankruptcy? Is my understanding wrong?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also recommend calling Cap One and asking for an account upgrade to Quicksilver for the Platinum account.

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I was under the impression chase doesn't play ball with people that have a discharged bankruptcy? Is my understanding wrong?

Its tough to get a card out of a TBTF bank with a BK on file but its not impossible, the older the BK is the better the chance, pretty rare though to be  able to get a card unless the BK is past 7 years and the creditor was not IIB.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

well capitol one doesn't want to do anything other than keep me on cards with annual fees, I applied for a capitol one journey card and got the 7-10 day letter.... I also applied for the chase and got the same. Spoke to capitol one about any options for cards with no annual fee and was told to pound sand.

On the bright side I did get approved for the barclaycard but only 1,500.

I will just let another year or two pass and revisit. thanks. hope everyone has better luck then me

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with Capital One was that I was approved for a Quicksilver one card a year ago and paid the annual fee. When the annual fee was billed the next year I contacted them and asked for an upgrade to a card without an annual fee and they upgraded me without any problems so I only had to pay the fee one time.

Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

well capitol one doesn't want to do anything other than keep me on cards with annual fees, I applied for a capitol one journey card and got the 7-10 day letter.... I also applied for the chase and got the same. Spoke to capitol one about any options for cards with no annual fee and was told to pound sand.

I will just let another year or two pass and revisit. thanks. hope everyone has better luck then me

This will change with Cap-1 as you build history and your BK ages back in time, its still new in everyones eyes.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, are you USING those cards? Cap One likes to see good usage. The more you use it, and pay it down right away, the more they make in vendor fees.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.