Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on next steps, if any.

tag
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Advice on next steps, if any.

Hello everyone! 

My question is based on my Equifax credit report as it stands now, is there anymore that I can be doing to obtain better results, primarily in regards to the Amex or CPS account or should I just leave things as is, and garden what I have?   I know settling isn't ideal, but at the time it was my only option. 

A little background, I have a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that was discharged in 2005 and since then I have been working to repair my credit, finally hitting an upward stride, so I just wanted to make sure that I am maximizing my results! 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Thank you! Smiley Happy

Company

Account number

Date opened

Balance

Status

Additional Info 

Cap One 

2/2011

$26

Pays account as agreed

Us Dept Ed

5/2006

$25,066

Pays account as agreed

Sallie Mae

2/2002

$0

Pays account as agreed

Bk Of Amer

9/2003

$0

Pays account as agreed

Authorized User

Afni-Bloom

8/2010

$0

120+ days past due

AFNI agreed to delete

Cps/Mail

1/2007

$0

Bad debt/collection

Settled for less than balance owed

Amex

11/2005

$0

120+ days past due

Settled for less than balace owed

Dp Of Educ

4/2003

$0

Included in Bankruptcy

Scheduled for deletion in 12/2011

Dp Of Educ

4/2003

$0

120+ days past due

Scheduled for deletion in 12/2011

Starting Scores: EQ 513, TU 547, EX 563
Current Scores: EQ 686 FICO TU 684
Goal Score: 700+
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice on next steps, if any.

The first 4 appear fine. I'd leave them based on info posted.

If AFNI hasn't deleted 45 days from their promise, then send a kind reminder.

I don't know what CPS is. If it is a CA, send a GW asking for deletion. If a OC, then send a GW also asking for deletion.

Amex...send a GW asking them to remove any lates and settled comment. Or ask for deletion...even though it would hurt your AAoA, Amex backdates and you can always regain the history later.

I'd do nothing to the last two. Lates are going to start dropping off here very soon. Hopefully the lates will fall off and it'll continue reporting for you as a positive TL.

Message 2 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Afni-Bloom

8/2010

$0

120+ days past due

AFNI agreed to delete

This is the only account that raises a question in my mind.

The debt collector, AFNI, has apparently agreed to delete their collection reporting?

If so, and they have apparently not yet done so, if the now-reported $0 balance is on their collection amount, that indicates that they have reported the collection as already paid.

If you had a PFD agreement with them, I would question why they reported a $0 balance rather than just deleting.  They might (and I stress "might") not follow through on your deletion agreement, since they have apparently already reported your payment, thus closing out their requried collection reporting.

Also, dont expect the 120+ late to be deleted, since that reporting was done by the OC.  You will need an additional GW letter to the OC to deal with any prior derogs the OC has reported.  A PFD with the debt collector wont address any OC account reporting,

I would just keep an eye of this account.

Message 3 of 12
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

I was under the impression that anything from the US Dept. of Education account couldn't be included in a bankruptcy dischargement?

Starting Score: 487
Current Score: Equifax: 586
Experian: 589
Transunion: 602

Overall Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They can be included in a BK if you can prove that paying them back will cause undue hardship.

Message 5 of 12
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

Hmm, okay.  I have student loans in economic hardship deferment but I was told that the only two types of debts that couldn't be discharged in a bankruptcy was federal tax debts and student loans.  Thanks for clearing that up!

Starting Score: 487
Current Score: Equifax: 586
Experian: 589
Transunion: 602

Overall Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Thanks for the responses.  I had 2 accounts with AFNI and they agreed to delete both, yet this one was never deleted, and the other one was.   So I sent a kind reminder the other day and they said they would delete it, my fingers are crossed that this actually happens. 

CPS is actually Consumer Portfolio Services, and I had an auto loan with them.  I am a little scared and apprehensive to send them a GW letter b/c they are a PAIN to work with and I rather not risk the chance of them reporting anything else negative even though the account is closed and settled. 

Hopefully I will get a SW alert with positive results on the AFNI account along with a little score boost Smiley Happy

*fingers crossed*

Message 7 of 12
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Quick question.  I received a letter from AFNI informing me that they would be submitting a request to the credit bureaus to delete the account from my reports.  Should I send a copy of that credit bureaus as well?

Message 8 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would give the CRA time to get it and process it, maybe 30 days, before sending it in.

Message 9 of 12
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Ok thanks!! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.