cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on old debt settlement offer

tag
AnniFridFour

Advice on old debt settlement offer

I just got a letter from Convergent Outsourcing, representing LVNV Funding and the original creditor is Certegy which I guess is for a super old check.

The amount is 106 + interest making it $120.37

They've offered a settlement of $42.13, 35% of the amount for it being considered paid in full.

Now my question is - is there any benefit to this aside from someone looking at my complete file down the road for a mortgage or soemthing? It's not on any of my credit reports since it's too old, and on the back of the letter it even says "because of the age of your debt we will not sue you for it or report it to any credit agency"

On the other hand, if I do accept their offer and pay, could it "reactivate" this onto my report somehow or cause something else bad to happen?

I'm inclined to pay it, and I know there are other old things over 7 years that are unpaid that would only hurt me in that theoretical future mortgage application (or are smallish amounts from over a decade ago not a big factor even then?)

Thanks for the advice everyone - these forums are the best!

Ted

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice on old debt settlement offer

It cant be put back on your CR once the 7 years have run. You have 2 choices either accept the settlement, this wont affect your CRs either and if it does you have major violations and pay or send a FOAD letter if you dont want to hear from them anymore.

A mortgage company is most likely going to ask for a full factual report so anything not deleted from the CRAs records is going to show even if its past 7 years. CRAs typically purge items after they hit 10 years (they just dont have the capacity to keep records forever, A GOOD THING) so anything within the last 10 years is likely to show on a mortgage app.

Message 2 of 10
AnniFridFour

Great - and I'm pretty sure this is actually from over 10 years ago so it wouldn't even show up in a total report.  So no downside to just telling them nothing. 

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@AnniFridFour wrote:

Great - and I'm pretty sure this is actually from over 10 years ago so it wouldn't even show up in a total report.  So no downside to just telling them nothing. 

Nope, as long as old debts are past your states SOL there is nothing they can do and if you live in WI all CA efforts must stop once the SOL is expired. When I hear from CAs, I have a few trying to collect "Zombie debt" over 13 years old now I just put them in the file with the rest of their communications and never respond in any way.

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

It cant be put back on your CR once the 7 years have run. You have 2 choices either accept the settlement, this wont affect your CRs either and if it does you have major violations and pay or send a FOAD letter if you dont want to hear from them anymore.

A mortgage company is most likely going to ask for a full factual report so anything not deleted from the CRAs records is going to show even if its past 7 years. CRAs typically purge items after they hit 10 years (they just dont have the capacity to keep records forever, A GOOD THING) so anything within the last 10 years is likely to show on a mortgage app.

Negative, unpaid debt is not purged from the CRAs after 10 years.  It will remain until paid.

Only positive accounts in good standing are purged.

Message 5 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Negative, unpaid debt is not purged from the CRAs after 10 years.  It will remain until paid.

Only positive accounts in good standing are purged.

I question this, I bought house in 2002 with a CO from power company in Sep 96 I explained why I would never pay it, the mortgage was approved. I refi the mortgage in Oct of 2003, a full factual was pulled and this CO did not appear on the report, I did not dispute it off either. Can you point me in the direction of the where the law is on this?

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

FCRA.

The CRAs could have done so but I am not sure they are supposed to.  I had one pulled and it had debt from eons ago.

Message 7 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

FCRA.

The CRAs could have done so but I not sure they are supposed to.  I had one pulled and it had debt from eons ago.

Ok thx. Sorry to hear of debt from eons ago.

Message 8 of 10
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

When applying for the home loan, if some of this old "zombie debt" appears unpaid, does it still have to be settled in order to get approved for the mortgage? How would one go about obtaining such a report, aside from applying for a mortgage, of course.

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@NWintellectual wrote:

When applying for the home loan, if some of this old "zombie debt" appears unpaid, does it still have to be settled in order to get approved for the mortgage? How would one go about obtaining such a report, aside from applying for a mortgage, of course.

I have been researching this and there is so much contradictory info on it, there is info straight from EX that says that negative items are in fact deleted after 7-10 yrs and they dont keep them around. The full factual is not really what it is stated either as it doesnt give positive loan experience. There are very few that even get this anymore its expensive. The full factual can also apply to reports that are compiled from at least 2 CRAs with each entry being verified manually. IMO I wouldnt worry too much about it and if you run across a lender that wants one I would just walk away and find another lender.

Adding: It seems there is no way to even order such a report for ones perusal of his/her own "file" but if one is used against you according to the FCRA you must be supplied with such report, failure to do so is a violation of law and even then I have found no way to order such a report.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.