Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on what exactly this means!!!!

tag
NCRunner
Valued Member

Advice on what exactly this means!!!!

So, my husband and I had a state tax lien placed in NC for failure to file from 2006. It has been garnished and paid for years now. It's showing released on both of our credit reports for all three agencies. I would like this off my report obviously, so I contacted the state revenue officer and then the tax advocate. I received this letter:

RE: CTL Cancellation

Period: 2006

Dear J&D Last Name:

This is to advise you that the Certificate of Tax Liability which was recorded at the Clerk of Court's office in XX County; File #, on Apr 15, 2010 was cancelled on Aug 18,  2011.

Sincerely,

Revenue Officer

I went to the clerk of court office today, and she said that it is reflecting as released, and I need to contact the CRA. Should I even bother? Do you think 'cancelled' = withdrawn? Any advice on what direction to take from here would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on what exactly this means!!!!

@NCRunner wrote:

So, my husband and I a lien placed in NC for failure to file from 2006. It has been garnished and paid for years now. It's showing released on both of our credit reports for all three agencies. I would like this off my report obviously, so I contacted the state revenue officer and then the tax advocate. I received this letter:

Dear J&D Last Name:

This is to advise you that the Certificate of Tax Liability which was recorded at the Clerk of Court's office in XX County; File #, on Apr 15, 2010 was cancelled on Aug 18,  2011.

Sincerely,

Revenue Officer

I went to the clerk of court office today, and she said that it is reflecting as released, and I need to contact the CRA. Should I even bother? Do you think 'canc.elled' = withdrawn? Any advice on what direction to take from here would be greatly appreciated. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Tax-Lien-Removal-and-FICO-Score-Impact/m-p/27...

This is a good read for your situation.

Message 2 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

They need to file a release to have it removed but some have had success disputing it and providing the document you have...YMMV 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NCRunner wrote:

So, my husband and I a lien placed in NC for failure to file from 2006. It has been garnished and paid for years now. It's showing released on both of our credit reports for all three agencies. I would like this off my report obviously, so I contacted the state revenue officer and then the tax advocate. I received this letter:

Dear J&D Last Name:

Sincerely,

Revenue Officer

I went to the clerk of court office today, and she said that it is reflecting as released, and I need to contact the CRA. Should I even bother? Do you think 'canc.elled' = withdrawn? Any advice on what direction to take from here would be greatly appreciated. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Tax-Lien-Removal-and-FICO-Score-Impact/m-p/2770107/highlight/true#M318378

This is for a fed tax lien removal 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NCRunner wrote:

Dear J&D Last Name:

Sincerely,

Revenue Officer

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Tax-Lien-Removal-and-FICO-Score-Impact/m-p/2770107/highlight/true#M318378

This is for a fed tax lien removal 

Yes, it is.  I must have missed something?  I didn't see that it was any other type of a lien.

Message 5 of 9
NCRunner
Valued Member

Sorry, it is a state tax lien (NC). 

Message 6 of 9
NCRunner
Valued Member

I went ahead and sent a copy of the Dept of Revenue letter and a very brief letter along with a copy of my ID to each if the CRA. Fingers crossed they just delete. Maybe someone will open it right after they found out they've received a raise or something Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@NCRunner wrote:
I went ahead and sent a copy of the Dept of Revenue letter and a very brief letter along with a copy of my ID to each if the CRA. Fingers crossed they just delete. Maybe someone will open it right after they found out they've received a raise or something Smiley Happy

Good luck 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 9
NCRunner
Valued Member

Just an update:

I mailed letters to each CRA for myself and my husband that included the paperwork stating that our lien was paid. Last night, DH received an email from Equifax stating that they will remove the tax lien. I'm really hoping that we have the same luck with the other agencies. This morning he had a scorewatch alert that there was an +11 pt change. I started cleaning things up exactly three months ago, and we have already seen 30-50 pt increase in both of our scores, across the board. If Equifax will pretty please delete mine as well and I get the same bump, then all of our scores will be above 620. Next goal is to make it to 660! Just wanted to update since there are a lot of questions about judgement/lien removals.   

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.