cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on what to app for to reduce UTIL

tag
StarsFan

Advice on what to app for to reduce UTIL

Ok, I would like some suggestions on what a good (easy) TL I can app for to help bring down my UTIL. I am currently at about 80% (Yes, high I am aware).

My rebuild has been slow but going well. The high UTIL is what is killing me. I am in the 630's on EX (my best score) I do have high inqs as a result of an app spree a few months ago (about 19 or 20). All my current possitive credit is a result of those apps. I got a WALMART, AMAZON, VS, FP, CONNS, and a small loan  account and all of them are reporting and paid on time...but with high balances. I have tried to get recons for CLI to help with the high utility but no luck.  ( have about 3 or 4 months worth of possitive reporting on these accounts).

I have tried shopping cart trick many times on many sites...no luck. (not sure if the fruad alerts on my accounts have something to do with that).

I am looking for something that would be pretty easy to get that would lower the utility and help boost my score a little bit.

I also have 5 badies (old) that I am in a constant state of working on on my report. but over 20 trade lines (at least 3/4 of those being student loans) reporting possitively (current, ontime, never late).

Please give me some suggestions?
Thanks,

Steve

9/25/12 - EX: 524 - TU: 515 - EQ: 521 FAKO
Current - EX: 627 - TU: 600 - EQ: 572 FAKO
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on what to app for to reduce UTIL

The problem with your idea to lower your UTL (as I discovered the hard way personally) is that high UTL drops your score and makes you less desirable. So, you'll end up with poor terms and really crummy limits. Your best bet is to not apply for anything but lower your UTL as much as you can. I know that isn't what you want to hear but other wise you're going to get a ton of denials, run up your inquiries and only pick up a couple (maybe) accounts with credit limits of about 300-600 at best. You can try to call your current creditors and ask them for credit limit increases.. but they might say no as you're probably considered "maxed" out to them.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 5
notfancy
Valued Contributor

oops I skim read too  fast, you already tried for CLIs. With the high number of inqs you already have, and the 80% UTL.. you're not going to get approved for anything unfortunately. You can only pay off what you have and garden your tradelines til those inquires age. Sorry. Smiley Sad

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@StarsFan wrote:

Ok, I would like some suggestions on what a good (easy) TL I can app for to help bring down my UTIL. I am currently at about 80% (Yes, high I am aware).

My rebuild has been slow but going well. The high UTIL is what is killing me. I am in the 630's on EX (my best score) I do have high inqs as a result of an app spree a few months ago (about 19 or 20). All my current possitive credit is a result of those apps. I got a WALMART, AMAZON, VS, FP, CONNS, and a small loan  account and all of them are reporting and paid on time...but with high balances. I have tried to get recons for CLI to help with the high utility but no luck.  ( have about 3 or 4 months worth of possitive reporting on these accounts).

I have tried shopping cart trick many times on many sites...no luck. (not sure if the fruad alerts on my accounts have something to do with that).

I am looking for something that would be pretty easy to get that would lower the utility and help boost my score a little bit.

I also have 5 badies (old) that I am in a constant state of working on on my report. but over 20 trade lines (at least 3/4 of those being student loans) reporting possitively (current, ontime, never late).

Please give me some suggestions?
Thanks,

Steve

I agree with the other, you really need to get that 80% down.  High utilization and new TLs is a show stopper for getting new credit.

If you can, pay the lowest balance first, then the next and so on until the last and have it report at 9% or below. 

The installment loan I would just keep paying on for a year or so and let it age.

Message 4 of 5
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yep focus on get util down to only ONE card reporting 9% or less and others 0. That should be your goal. No more apps.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.