cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on what works best: GW vs PFD and Letter vs Call for different Creditors/CAs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on what works best: GW vs PFD and Letter vs Call for different Creditors/CAs

I signed up for the 3B report last month and I've been reading the rebuilding forumn quite a bit since then! Out of 4 collections I found on my report, I paid 2 before I learned about PFD. Of the 2 remaining, I am disputing one (Midland/Comcast) as invalid and the last one is an oustanding medical bill with Miramed for $368.

For the already paid Collections, is it better to call or write a letter for a Good Will removal? My situation at the time was a stressfull separation and divorce which resulted in not getting all of the responsibility sorted out before bill hit collections.

For the unpaid medical bill, I am in a place to pay in full and would like to negotiate a PFD. Again, is it better to call or write? Any tips for striking a balance in the tone of the letter/convo?

I don't have a fancy signature yet, but a little background: I am want to improve my credit after messy divorce so that I can buy a home. EX 646, EQ 624, TU 612 currently. I have also made strides to reduce utilization, which is not yet reflected in my Fico 8 scores.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advise on what works best: GW vs PFD and Letter vs Call

In addition to OP, I have 3 other baddies in the form of lates:

1. Comemity/VS 30 days (recent)  - working onGW angle. Any tips for this payor? It's first and only late.

2. PayPal/SmartConnect 30 days (recent) - working on GW angle. Any tips for this payor? It's first and only late.

3. Navient student loan 120 days from 2013 - is this even worth the effort? From reading, seems like a lost cause.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice on what works best: GW vs PFD and Letter vs Call for different Creditors/CAs

Many creditors and debt collectors establish uniform policies within their organizations that inform their employees not to grant deletion of reporting in exchange for payment of the debt.  Those policies are part of their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs.

Sending general letters or making calls that reach normal customer service reps are thus apt to be handled under their normal "non-deletion" directives.

Mangement sets policies, and has the discretion to grant exceptions.

Thus, calling or writing a mangement contact often provides results that are not attainable via standard channels.

If you are also a good negotiator or know how to play a few good crocodile tears, then personal calls may be far more effective than letters.

Message 3 of 4
Studio90x
Contributor

Re: Advice on what works best: GW vs PFD and Letter vs Call for different Creditors/CAs

Contact the CSR first. I had a recent (Feb) 30 day late payment report from VS and I called and explained I had been working overtime 2 months straight that I overlooked my monthly payment due and if they could removal the late payment as a one time courtesy. Late payment was removed from my report in 2 weeks.

I would try calling the CSR for PayPal as well and request a one time courtesy removal since it's your first late.
EQ8 - 696 TU8 - 700 EX8 - 683
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.