Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice re debt collector please

tag
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Advice re debt collector please

I paid off a debt collector a few months ago; however, they continue reporting to the CBs.  However, some of what they are reporting is not accurate.  Do I write a letter to the DBs explaining how it  is inaccurate and asking them to remove?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice re debt collector please

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

I paid off a debt collector a few months ago; however, they continue reporting to the CBs.  However, some of what they are reporting is not accurate.  Do I write a letter to the DBs explaining how it  is inaccurate and asking them to remove?

What's inaccurate? Corrections will usually take place before a removal.

Message 2 of 6
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

For instance: 

They’ve changed the date of first delinquency from 10/2008 to 04/2009.  Added a comment that the account information was disputed – it was never disputed; asked for debt validation because I had no idea what the collection was for.  Added a comment that the account was paid for less than full balance -  not true the full amount as shown on previous reports was paid.   Changed date reported from 3/2010  to  04/10/2014.

It just seems to me that this is completely wrong.

Message 3 of 6
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Any other thoughts anyone?

Message 4 of 6
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

For instance: 

They’ve changed the date of first delinquency from 10/2008 to 04/2009(DOFD, or DOLA? There's a difference).  Added a comment that the account information was disputed – it was never disputed; asked for debt validation because I had no idea what the collection was for(How the letter was interpeted apparently made them treat it like a dispute. Post your letter sent, word for word, without the personal info).  Added a comment that the account was paid for less than full balance -  not true the full amount as shown on previous reports was paid(you didn't get a current balance to work from, then they probably nailed you for their allowed fees/penalties still remaining in their system. Did you get anything in writing from them stating a balance to be paid?).   Changed date reported from 3/2010  to  04/10/2014. (They updated it from the "dispute," and can update status monthly if they want.)

Message 5 of 6
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

For instance: 

They’ve changed the date of first delinquency from 10/2008 to 04/2009(DOFD, or DOLA? There's a difference).  Added a comment that the account information was disputed – it was never disputed; asked for debt validation because I had no idea what the collection was for(How the letter was interpeted apparently made them treat it like a dispute. Post your letter sent, word for word, without the personal info).  Added a comment that the account was paid for less than full balance -  not true the full amount as shown on previous reports was paid(you didn't get a current balance to work from, then they probably nailed you for their allowed fees/penalties still remaining in their system. Did you get anything in writing from them stating a balance to be paid?).   Changed date reported from 3/2010  to  04/10/2014. (They updated it from the "dispute," and can update status monthly if they want.)

The line on the credit report for the collection agency:  Date of First Delinquency 04/2009

The line on the credit report for the original creditor:     Date of First Delinqunecy 10/2008 

Exact debt validation request sent in February 2014 which is the report that prompted me to correspond with the collection agency:

Thank you for taking a moment to read this letter.  I have written it in order to request your help.

I recently received a credit bureau report wherein I read it was alleged that I owe a debt to your company for subject account.  I have never received any kind of communication from XXXXXXXXXX regarding an alleged debt. 

I do want to pay any valid debt owed by me to a valid creditor for any merchandise or service I may have received.  However, having been the victim of identity theft on two occasions, I have decided to tread with caution concerning this matter.  Therefore, I am asking for your help by having Security Credit Service validate the alleged debt, by including but not limiting the information, as to who the original creditor was, the date of the service, what service was received for the money, as well as all information covered by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).

Trusting that I will receive a quick written response, I am

I received a response from the company in March 2914 tell me who the original creditor was.  The 2012, 2013 and February 2014 credit reports the collection agency reported the amount owing as the one I paid.

Anymore questions, thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.