Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice: which move would make the biggest impact

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice: which move would make the biggest impact

Hello all,

I don't post here much but I lurk quite often and am currently in a dilemma that I could use some advice on: I currently have credit scores between 570 and 590 across all bureaus but I typically range around 680 to 700 but last year did an app spree and have a number a new accounts and inquiries reporting. My biggest obstacles are the following:

2 collections totaling $2500 reporting on experian and transition (CA is willing to pfd if paid in full and I already have it in writing)

High credit card utilization. Discover $8k, cabela $5k, and cap 1 $3k, at about 80% utilization.

I have some extra cash ($3k) and wanted to know what would make the biggest impact on my credit score: either paying off the 2 collections in full or paying down my balances, $1k across each card. The collections are my only 2 negatives on my report and have hindered me in credit checks for jobs I've pursued (I'm in the banking field) and I'm at a catch 22.

Any advice?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice: which move would make the biggest impact

Hello, paying down your cards would be the way to go! Paying collections won't really help your score, you need them REMOVED!! Try PFD Letters and stay persistent with them! 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm no experts but getting negative accounts deleted off will be my move
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP stated the CA agreed to PFD......

OP, PFD to get them off your reports then start working on your UTI..
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

I don't post here much but I lurk quite often and am currently in a dilemma that I could use some advice on: I currently have credit scores between 570 and 590 across all bureaus but I typically range around 680 to 700 but last year did an app spree and have a number a new accounts and inquiries reporting. My biggest obstacles are the following:

2 collections totaling $2500 reporting on experian and transition (CA is willing to pfd if paid in full and I already have it in writing)

High credit card utilization. Discover $8k, cabela $5k, and cap 1 $3k, at about 80% utilization.

I have some extra cash ($3k) and wanted to know what would make the biggest impact on my credit score: either paying off the 2 collections in full or paying down my balances, $1k across each card. The collections are my only 2 negatives on my report and have hindered me in credit checks for jobs I've pursued (I'm in the banking field) and I'm at a catch 22.

Any advice?

Get them paid and deleted...that is first and foremost!!!!!

Many people would give an arm for a PFD...

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

Any advice?

Get them paid and deleted...that is first and foremost!!!!!

Many people would give an arm for a PFD...

I agree - get the negs removed if they are willing. Removal of negs trumps score increase of paying down debt if its your only negatives.

Message 6 of 13
805orbust
Valued Contributor

+1 on PFD.  If the negatives are completely removed, you'll see serious movement in your scores.  They'll skyrocket once your utilization is below 20% or so.  Go for it!!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

Any advice?

This isn't even CLOSE....

Normally, there could be a question about the age of these accounts but WHO CARES at this point, in THIS situation....

1) You said you got a written agreement in hand BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY

you said you've been HINDERED in your career...your ABILITY to MAKE MONEY...even if it were 2nd place that makes it a NO BRAINER, you're in the financial services industry and if that issue can be fixed with change you have in your hand....you'd be a FREAKING IDIOT to let possibly yet another JOB pass you by, one that you might get a promotion from that you'd never see w/o getting in.....c'mon McFLY, this is easy as pie....period, don't not pass go!

It's hurt my EMPLOYMENT opportunities more than ONCE...are you seriously questioning yourself? (Ya'll know I'm just ribbing right...i know you're just seeking the atta boy/girl to make the only 'real' decision there is to make.

2) Even, had you not been in the f/s biz...the impact of $1000 each to accounts at 80% still couldn't thrump deleting those collections...that's the primary reason for the scores being held down.

Anthing above 60-70% is maxed out and denotes drowning, circling the drain you know this, well depends where in the bank you work but heavy debt = RISK

a) To lend to the public and

b) Having employees where financial mischief is poosible...ie banks, police depts. etc

So kill the collections 1st then tackle that debt....and prehaps w/o the collections as you're paying you can get some CLI's

NOT to USE but to help your ratios look prettySmiley Very Happy

Please be careful moving forward your career, and ability to promote is at stake this is more importantly to you than a bus driver or a teacher...this type of thing can kill your ability to make money to LIVE

Best Wishes, good luck

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

Any advice?

I think you already answered your questions when you said ^^  nevertheless, how old is the collection? was the APP spree from last year what dropped your score 100 points? I would think that it will only hurt you up front but should help you later on? Just wondering on this move coz I just did exact same thing, I apped for numerous credit and I am holding tight to see the consequences of my action. Anyway, best bet is to pay off that collection, once that's remove your credit score will go back up (hopefully enough) that you maybe able to get some high credit card limit and help some with your UTI while you try to pay it down. Good luck!

Message 9 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with the others who told you to get the negatives removed while the chance is still there.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.