Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice with Time Warner / Focus Receivables Management

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice with Time Warner / Focus Receivables Management

I'm trying to rebuild (2nd time) my credit. I had it fixed last year, but Focus Receivables pounced after I bought a new car and placed a previously un-listed and re-aged account from Time Warner.

Despite the account being from 2010, they placed it as 2014. 

I disputed the account, and simply got a "consumer disputes this information" line added to my report (worthless). I asked for DV, and got NO response. I filed a complaint with the FTC, and the complaint was closed as "debt valid". 

Problem is, I can't even seem to PAY this debt, no matter how valid it may be! Focus has never sent me anything by mail. I have sent them DV request by mail with my current address, and also provided my address via the FTC complaint. I also emailed their debtor email address with my name & address requesting they send me information in regards to the debt they have listed under my name. Absolutely no communication from them. How am I supposed to pay them?

I tried calling Time Warner directly, but they can't find the account. The phone rep suggested I go to the local Time Warner store and they "might" be able to find the account. However, the "local" store is 100 miles away because I moved out of area! 

Has anyone had luck with paying off an old account (5 years) at the local store and having it marked paid or removed? Honestly, as much as I'd like it removed, I'd even take it being marked PAID. Many mortgage lenders will not lend to you if there is ANYTHING unresolved on your credit, regardless of score. So this is completely forcing my hand and I'm going to have to rent for another 6 months or year until I can get this resolved. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice with Time Warner / Focus Receivables Management

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to rebuild (2nd time) my credit. I had it fixed last year, but Focus Receivables pounced after I bought a new car and placed a previously un-listed and re-aged account from Time Warner.

Despite the account being from 2010, they placed it as 2014. 

I disputed the account, and simply got a "consumer disputes this information" line added to my report (worthless). I asked for DV, and got NO response. I filed a complaint with the FTC, and the complaint was closed as "debt valid". 

Problem is, I can't even seem to PAY this debt, no matter how valid it may be! Focus has never sent me anything by mail. I have sent them DV request by mail with my current address, and also provided my address via the FTC complaint. I also emailed their debtor email address with my name & address requesting they send me information in regards to the debt they have listed under my name. Absolutely no communication from them. How am I supposed to pay them?

I tried calling Time Warner directly, but they can't find the account. The phone rep suggested I go to the local Time Warner store and they "might" be able to find the account. However, the "local" store is 100 miles away because I moved out of area! 

Has anyone had luck with paying off an old account (5 years) at the local store and having it marked paid or removed? Honestly, as much as I'd like it removed, I'd even take it being marked PAID. Many mortgage lenders will not lend to you if there is ANYTHING unresolved on your credit, regardless of score. So this is completely forcing my hand and I'm going to have to rent for another 6 months or year until I can get this resolved. 

Therein lies the issue. A DV imposes a cease collection bar until they provide you with validation. It does not require removal of any reporting. The DV has placed you in "limbo". They cannot legally deal with you until they provide validation. The fact that TW can't seem to find any information may be the reason for the delay in validation.

In order for them to make any kind of deal with you, the DV will need to be rescinded. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Texas has a 30 day limit on validation though. I requested validation months ago. What's the next step if they didn't respond?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you request a DV *specifically* citing Texas Financial code? If not, they will assume a DV under FDCPA, which has no response requirement.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very likely that's the case then. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send them another DV, specifically citing Texas Financial Code, and its various requirements (30 day response, deletion of report if not validated, Texas bond requirements, etc). You can find Texas DV examples here in the forum.

Message 6 of 9
AKO17
Regular Contributor

I am about to send a Texas DV letter to this CA tomorrow. I'll update if I hear anything. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also had to deal with this collection agency.  After multiple letters with no response, I sent a certified letter return receipt.  Instead of signing the letter, they merely stamped it, but a response with validation of debt was sent afterwards.  I'm still unsure of how to best handle the situation as the debt is very foreign to me and this company is very hard to communicate with.  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Despite the account being from 2010, they placed it as 2014. Where are you seeing this date ? Is this the account opened date? 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.