Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise Please!

tag
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Advise Please!

I recently bought a new car and finanaced it through my company credit union.  I couldn't pass up the interest rate. Unfortunately, they only report to TU.  So my TU report shows 3 revolving and to installment loans (car & motorcycle).  EQ & EX only report the 3 revolving accounts as active TL's.  Would it be worthwhile to open some kind of installment loan (secured loan or store financing) that would report to EQ &EX?  How much do you think it might help?

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advise Please!

@KellyP25721 wrote:

I recently bought a new car and finanaced it through my company credit union.  I couldn't pass up the interest rate. Unfortunately, they only report to TU.  So my TU report shows 3 revolving and to installment loans (car & motorcycle).  EQ & EX only report the 3 revolving accounts as active TL's.  Would it be worthwhile to open some kind of installment loan (secured loan or store financing) that would report to EQ &EX?  How much do you think it might help?

I would not worry about it, installment loans really dont give that much of a bang. Initially they cause a Fico decrease and over time your score will rise then when the loan closes (typically your last one) there is a Fico decrease, the decrease is bigger the higher your Fico is, some experience 30+ point decreases when the last loan closes under the fico 8 model. Revolving credit and how you handle that is much more weight than installment loans.

Message 2 of 3
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advise Please!

Thanks, that makes sense.  That also explains the 8-10 drop when my old car loan closed on EX & EQ.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.