Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advise needed

I am new to this forum and LOVE IT! I just started tracking my credit score within the past year through Credit Karma. About a month ago I found out my car loan wasn't being paid (thought my payments were going through) and it went to collections. It shows that it was removed from my credit report, but my score has not gone up. Now, my score is even lower! It's now popping up old issues (a direct tv account that got paid off in 2013 and about 6 inquiries from trying to by a car a year or so ago) and said it is new to collections as of last month. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Before the issue with my car my score was 654, after 603, and then with the new old stuff it is a whopping 593!!!

Any and all advise is appreciated.

Thanks a million

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Re: Advise needed

Have you contacted your auto loan servicer and explained the situation?  If you have been making payments and they have received them then they should correct the errors in your credit report.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted the bank and the collection agency. After 2.5 weeks it got it taken care of even though they won't admit any guilt. They back dated the payments to the dates they were originally paid and so it shows on my credit report that it has been removed, but my score didn't return to where it was before it happened

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first thing I would do in your situation is start a check register. There are applications, spreadsheet templates on google docs, or old-fashioned hand-written in the check register your bank gives you. If your balance doesn't match what's in your register, you know there's a problem and can start checking to see which payments are missing before things get repossessed/closed/etc.

The finance company may have charged off the account and sold it from the sounds of it. You should contact them and find out to whom it was sold and if they are agreeable to recall it if you can come up with a payment agreement. 

You didn't mention it being repossessed... do you still have the car? 

Can you post the information about the directtv collection?

Do you have any positive credit items?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with the advice above.
If you don't have any other installment loans, the car not being reported would be a reason for the drop. You need an active one to keep points from that category
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am new to this forum and LOVE IT! I just started tracking my credit score within the past year through Credit Karma. About a month ago I found out my car loan wasn't being paid (thought my payments were going through) and it went to collections. It shows that it was removed from my credit report, but my score has not gone up. Now, my score is even lower! It's now popping up old issues (a direct tv account that got paid off in 2013 and about 6 inquiries from trying to by a car a year or so ago) and said it is new to collections as of last month. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Before the issue with my car my score was 654, after 603, and then with the new old stuff it is a whopping 593!!!

Thanks a million

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks a million

First of all you need to find out what your true FICO scores are.  CK uses Vantage scores and very few lenders use that when decided to extend credit.  Once you find out what your scores are, then try to  maintain good payment history.  Time  and good payments will help your score improve. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.