cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise on how to use credit cards to increase scores and other credit report questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advise on how to use credit cards to increase scores and other credit report questions

I have recently used a credit repair agency which was able to remove some derogs from my report but actually ended up hurting my score as things got updated. I am currently left with 2 old capital one charge offs from "11 and "12 that are both paid off. They were sent to collections agency and so they both show charge off with $0 balance from the actual Capital one entries. One collection agency shows paid and the other was actually deleted. FYI for questions below I am planning on buying a home in the next 4-6 months. So questions number 1!

1. Capital one has refused to delete these entries and when disputing them it was only updated. Should I request that the status is changed from charged off to paid charge off from capital one? These accounts were sold to collections agency and I didn't want to worsen anything by getting this changed. 

2.  I also have a First Premiere that was charged off in "08 that is paid in full. This is showing as an "open" account on my Eq and Ex reports, closed on Trans . I am assuming that when it reports as paid and closed I will take a hit again???

3. I also have a CitiFinancial account from "11 that was charged off and will be paid in full this Fall unfortunately again will this decrease my score when paid off?

4. Finally I do have a capital one card that has a $500 balance on it. Last month I ensured that $0 was reported and saw a 10-18 point increase. I have a secured TD bank card with $500 and ensured that only $40 was reported and saw a 12 point increase in 1 Ex. I am still waiting on the others to report.  My question is how long do you see these types of point increases with low balances reported? These cards were just obtained in 2/2015 and 4/2015 but last month was the 1st month of <10% utilization reported.

THanks for any help!!

6/15 Eq 585  Tr 608  Ex 604

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advise on how to use credit cards to increase scores and other credit report questions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently used a credit repair agency which was able to remove some derogs from my report but actually ended up hurting my score as things got updated. I am currently left with 2 old capital one charge offs from "11 and "12 that are both paid off. They were sent to collections agency and so they both show charge off with $0 balance from the actual Capital one entries. One collection agency shows paid and the other was actually deleted. FYI for questions below I am planning on buying a home in the next 4-6 months. So questions number 1!

1. Capital one has refused to delete these entries and when disputing them it was only updated. Should I request that the status is changed from charged off to paid charge off from capital one? These accounts were sold to collections agency and I didn't want to worsen anything by getting this changed. You want to do "GW" removal requests with Cap Ones EO. They are a tough nut to crack, but will sometime relent in the final year of reporting.

2.  I also have a First Premiere that was charged off in "08 that is paid in full. This is showing as an "open" account on my Eq and Ex reports, closed on Trans . I am assuming that when it reports as paid and closed I will take a hit again??? It may cause a temporary reduction in scores, or it may not. If it was showing a balance, the reduction may be countered by a better UTI% (CO CC balances hit your UTI%)

3. I also have a CitiFinancial account from "11 that was charged off and will be paid in full this Fall unfortunately again will this decrease my score when paid off? See above.

4. Finally I do have a capital one card that has a $500 balance on it. Last month I ensured that $0 was reported and saw a 10-18 point increase. I have a secured TD bank card with $500 and ensured that only $40 was reported and saw a 12 point increase in 1 Ex. I am still waiting on the others to report.  My question is how long do you see these types of point increases with low balances reported? These cards were just obtained in 2/2015 and 4/2015 but last month was the 1st month of <10% utilization reported. You will usually get sizable bumps when reducing UTI, after that you should get steady growth over time as your accounts age, and derogs age. I would suggest getting a second Cap One account once your balances have reported to all three bureaus.

THanks for any help!!

6/15 Eq 585  Tr 608  Ex 604

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advise on how to use credit cards to increase scores and other credit report questions

Thanks for the advise! I appreciate it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.