Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise regarding a Judgment just added

tag
Ceejay1978
Regular Contributor

Advise regarding a Judgment just added

So I get a notice that a judgment has been added to my credit report through county courts from my Rental office.

Basically, I made a payment to my rental company online but it didnt post to my account.  I just so happen to go into the rental office regarding payment for a referral that I made and the manager mentioned that I owed a balance on my rent.  I went back and forth for a second but then stopped because I had a receipt showing when I actually paid.  They looked in their records and also found the proof of payment. So my payment had not been applied to my account for about 2 weeks.

From what I gathered, they had went ahead and started eviction proceedings because in effect, it looked like I had not paid my rent.  They applied the payment but someone dropped the ball and had not stopped the eviction proceedings.  Long story short, Sheriffs were at my door posting a 3 day notice two weeks later.  WHile it took me 2 days to get this who thing resolved and have the eviction CANCELLED, apparently something is still showing in the system because now a judgment for that amount is showing up on my credit report.

Should I dispute this with the CRAs or dispute directly with the courts first, and how??? 

~Signed

"Dont need anymore dings on my credit report than what I already have."

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advise regarding a Judgment just added

@Ceejay1978 wrote:

So I get a notice that a judgment has been added to my credit report through county courts from my Rental office.

Basically, I made a payment to my rental company online but it didnt post to my account.  I just so happen to go into the rental office regarding payment for a referral that I made and the manager mentioned that I owed a balance on my rent.  I went back and forth for a second but then stopped because I had a receipt showing when I actually paid.  They looked in their records and also found the proof of payment. So my payment had not been applied to my account for about 2 weeks.

From what I gathered, they had went ahead and started eviction proceedings because in effect, it looked like I had not paid my rent.  They applied the payment but someone dropped the ball and had not stopped the eviction proceedings.  Long story short, Sheriffs were at my door posting a 3 day notice two weeks later.  WHile it took me 2 days to get this who thing resolved and have the eviction CANCELLED, apparently something is still showing in the system because now a judgment for that amount is showing up on my credit report.

Should I dispute this with the CRAs or dispute directly with the courts first, and how??? 

~Signed

"Dont need anymore dings on my credit report than what I already have."

I would first get a copy of any court documents where they sued you and obtained a judgment.  From there we can see what options you have available.

Are you sure it is a judgment, though?  Can you copy & paste the details here?

Message 2 of 5
Ceejay1978
Regular Contributor

Public Record
Reported on 3/28/2011 by Equifax
Court Name:MY COUNTY COURT
File Date:1/1/2011
Court Number:xxxxxxxxx
Type of Record:Legal Item
Amount:$XX.XX

What are Public Records?
A Public Record is information that has been reported by local, state, federal or other government agencies about legal matters associated with your name. The most common Public Records include bankruptcies, tax liens, and judgments and typically remain on your Credit Report for seven to 10 years.

and

Public Record
Reported on 4/12/2011 by TransUnion
Court Name:Circuit Court
File Date:1/7/2011
Court Number: 
Type of Record:Civil judgement
Amount:$

What are Public Records?
A Public Record is information that has been reported by local, state, federal or other government agencies about legal matters associated with your name. The most common Public Records include bankruptcies, tax liens, and judgments and typically remain on your Credit Report for seven to 10 years.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ceejay1978 wrote:
Public Record
Reported on 3/28/2011 by Equifax

Court Name:MY COUNTY COURT
File Date:1/1/2011
Court Number:xxxxxxxxx
Type of Record:Legal Item
Amount:$XX.XX

What are Public Records?

and

Public Record
Reported on 4/12/2011 by TransUnion

Court Name:Circuit Court
File Date:1/7/2011
Court Number: 
Type of Record:Civil judgement
Amount:$

What are Public Records?

Well, unfortunately, it does look like a judgment.  Smiley Sad

I would get a copy of the court file and examine it carefully for all relevant dates and also the proof of service.  There is a chance you were not properly served, but first you'd need to not only see the court files but also research your state's civil procedure law.  In some rental actions the rules for service are extremely lax.

In any event, it does seem like the creditor messed up and sued you when you didn't even owe them any money.  I would put pressure on the rental company to make them go through the process of having the judgment vacated.  You might remind them that the action they filed in court was under oath and it looks to me like they lied to the court.

Message 4 of 5
Ceejay1978
Regular Contributor

I have to get this resolved like NOW!!!! Thanks though.  I will call the courts tomorrow

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.