Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afni Collections - NOT REPORTING TO CA

tag
ljohn27
Contributor

Re: Afni Collections - NOT REPORTING TO CA

Madmann26 - I'm not missing the point - I'm simply stating what my experience was. Responding to a question. They in fact told me they would not report to the CA's if I paid the bill and would have no reason to do so; hence, no incentive.

While I totally understand what they have the right to do - I'm telling you what ACTUALLY happened in my situation.

I will say that perhaps what made my situation unique is it was never reported in the first place. If it were, then the challenge would have been to get them to commit to do a PFD but that just wasn't the situation.

EX 678 | TU 689 | EQ 698 LENDER PULL 07/22/2014
EX 655 | TU 690 | EQ 678 MyFICO SCORES 07/09/2014
Message 11 of 25
JFam1

Thanks for everyone's response! LJohn27, did you phone Afni or send a letter? And exactly what did you say? Reading these forums has me freaked out about calling creditors... I understand if you'd rather not disclose. 

I will also need to deal with the CA that previously reported this on my credit back in July resulting in a 30-point drop, crushing me. I'm assuming I should pay Afni first then DV the CA and if no response have it removed? At this point, I just want to fix all of this and prevent the blow after blow to my CR. 

Thanks!

Message 12 of 25
ljohn27
Contributor

JFam1- I'm not sure what the status of the debt is or who holds it currently but here are some tips:

1) If the CA that reported the debt in July still holds the debt - send them a Debt Verification Letter via certified mail. If they verify it - then call and work with them. Ask verbally and via writing if they'll agree to a PFD and do all you can to get something in writing from them.

2) If they sold/transfered the debt to another CA that is not reporting it yet. Dispute the CA that is showing on your CR to get them deleted (which is what I did) AND work with the current agency that has the debt to resolve it before they start reporting.

Collections - especially recent ones - can destroy credit scores so you want to do all you can to get them completely removed.

Again - in my situation SW Credit had an AT&T cell phone bill they were reporting on my CR - it got transfered to Afni so I took it upon myself to dispute SW Credit on my reports. When the CRA verified it with them they had to delete it because they no longer held the debt. In the meantime, I worked with Afni before they could report it and paid it directly through them. Although, as mentioned previously - CA's do have a right to report paid debts they normally have no incentive if it's paid before they get to that point.

fyi - I had another old CO debt with Trident Mgmt for a book club that I never remember signing up for so I sent them a DV letter via certified mail and although I had made previous attempts to get them to delete it they wouldn't until I sent that letter and magically they send me and the CRA's a deletion letter. It was removed from my files and I have a letter just in case it pops back up somewhere. But it's been a while so I don't expect it to. I say that to confirm that well written appropriate letters citing FCRA laws helps because it forces them to act.

Always be nice and gracious but be persistent!

Message 13 of 25
ljohn27
Contributor

ps. In July 2013 I had Fico scores in the 579 (ish) range with 2 collections on my credit report and high cc util on 2 cards. Once I got both CO's remove and got my util below 15% my score is now at 672. At this point I still have a tax lien from 2011 that will be paid off in March of 2014. I know it will be removed through the IRS fresh start program so hoping to get close to or beyond 700 once it's removed.

My point is it takes some hard work, diligence and persistency but you can get your scores into good ranges by making it a priority and working hard at it.

Message 14 of 25
JFam1

Thanks, your story motivates me to keep working on my scores. I'm currently at a MyFico of 664, but started at 591 in March 2013. Then after disputing items with Equifax, I got up to a 628.  Didn't last long beause Franklin hit me with this Att collection. I didn't receive a letter notifying me of the debt or that they had purchased the debt, just a MyFico alert. At that point, I didn't know what to do (was scared to call) since it is my debt. This was one of the items on my debt snowball that I've been paying down. I sat on it awhile and now Afni has recently contacted me about the same debt. 

I'd swore against ever carrying a credit card again and had not held one for almost 3 years, but in August I mistakenly thought I was applying for a secured credit card with Capital One and a real credit card showed up in the mail (not sure how I did that). However, I pay my balances off monthly or utilize no more than 15%, and I think that helped me get up to the 664.  Also, I've consistently been paying my student loans and car payment on time for the last few years. Now with the Afni letter I received, I'm in a panic to avoid another collection on my CR. 

Over the last few months, I've paid off a $1200 State Tax Lien which I know will take years to disappear but at least it's paid, and one other collection. I'm left with 3 baddies, a Discover Card collection w/ a resulting judgment which I plan to pay in exchange for the the attorney vacating the judgment, and this ATT collection which I'm prepared to tackle now. Just need to figure out who to tackle it with Franklin or Afni...I'd assumed Afni since they were the most recent to contact me and I'm scrambling to pay it off before they report to CBs but will take your advice and try to figure out who I should pay between the two of them first.

Message 15 of 25
JFam1

Hi! I paid Afni after confirming with ATT that they were collecting on their behalf, and Afni agreed not to report. Now, I need to DV the CA appearing on my report. Will someone please send me a good example DV letter or a link? My goals is for that CA to drop off since they are no longer collecting the debt and it has been paid. Thanks. 

Message 16 of 25
ljohn27
Contributor

Start with disputing them with the CRA they are reporting you to. Then call and ask if they'll delete your records with the CRA's since they no longer own the liability. If that fails then send this letter:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I checked a copy of my credit report and realized that there was a collection reported from your agency, which I was not notified about. I do not reject to provide with the debt amount. However, this is a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b), that your claim is disputed and a validation is demanded. This is asking for proof regarding the debt that I owe and verifying it.

I am requesting you to stop all collection activities including reporting this information on my credit report. I am sure that you are aware of the fact that non-compliance with this request may end up in legal obligations.

Please dispatch copies of the following with your reply:

1. The agreement which authorizes you to collect debt on the assumed debt.
2. The signed agreement from the debtor confirming to pay the debt.
3. The documents regarding the payments made on this account and validation of the amount.

With regards,

Note in many cases they don't have time to go back and provide all this information as it may require resources they don't want to use, especially for a debt they no longer hold.

Message 17 of 25
JFam1

Thanks Ljohn27! Off to execute the next steps in my Operation Credit Repair Plan.... Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They don't have to provide anything but who is collecting and the amount.  If you ask for the name and address of the OC and an itemization, they need to include that.  Nothing else.

Getting verification from the OC can be a verbal verification.

Message 19 of 25
JFam1

Guiness56, I received verbal verification from OC (ATT) that Afni was holding, and I paid Afni. I'd like for Franklin to go away since they can't collect anything (nor have they ever contacted me about the debt just popped up on my CR).

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.