Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afni responded... Now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Afni responded... Now what?

AFNI actually responded to my DV but this is the letter they sent back.

AFNI is investigating your dispute related to the above account and AFNI has informed the credit reporting agencies that the account is disputed.The final resolution of the disputed account has been delayed due to insufficient information provided. Afni requests additional information so that we may conclude the investigation.  We will complete our investigation within 30 days of receipt of the following information.

•  The specific information you dispute.
  •  An explanation of the basis of your dispute.
  • All supporting information to substantiate your claim.  Examples may include but is not limited to, photocopy of your driver's license, the identification page of your passport, proof of residency at time of service, receipts, etc.
  • A valid phone number to contact you. 

Please call our office to resolve this matter.

I thought the point of the DV is for them to provide proof to me.  Why would I need to send them any info?  What is my next step?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Afni responded... Now what?

If you are disputing the account as not being yours then I would just send them a CMRRR letter stating the account is not yours and you wish for them to provide the documentation proving it is.  I wouldn't send them any of the DL, passport etc!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the same response from AFNI to the first DV letter I sent.  I sent them a second DV letter, and attached a copy of their letter and a copy of my first DV letter.

AFNI responded to the second DV letter with more information, including a 2-page copy of a bill from Verizon (original creditor was listed as Verizon on my credit report).  It was enough information to confirm that the debt wasn't mine (never lived at the address on the bill from Verizon) and that no debt was owed (bill showed a credit balance).  I wrote AFNI again, and am now waiting for a response to that letter.

I did a separate DV to Verizon, and received a letter from Verizon today that they can't find any information on this account and to call them.  I called them, and Verizon said that they are deleting it off my credit report. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I received the same response from AFNI to the first DV letter I sent.  I sent them a second DV letter, and attached a copy of their letter and a copy of my first DV letter.

AFNI responded to the second DV letter with more information, including a 2-page copy of a bill from Verizon (original creditor was listed as Verizon on my credit report).  It was enough information to confirm that the debt wasn't mine (never lived at the address on the bill from Verizon) and that no debt was owed (bill showed a credit balance).  I wrote AFNI again, and am now waiting for a response to that letter.

I did a separate DV to Verizon, and received a letter from Verizon today that they can't find any information on this account and to call them.  I called them, and Verizon said that they are deleting it off my credit report. 

Excellent job!!! 
Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AFNI actually responded to my DV but this is the letter they sent back.

AFNI is investigating your dispute related to the above account and AFNI has informed the credit reporting agencies that the account is disputed.The final resolution of the disputed account has been delayed due to insufficient information provided. Afni requests additional information so that we may conclude the investigation.  We will complete our investigation within 30 days of receipt of the following information.

•  The specific information you dispute.
  •  An explanation of the basis of your dispute.
  • All supporting information to substantiate your claim.  Examples may include but is not limited to, photocopy of your driver's license, the identification page of your passport, proof of residency at time of service, receipts, etc.
  • A valid phone number to contact you. 

Please call our office to resolve this matter.

I thought the point of the DV is for them to provide proof to me.  Why would I need to send them any info?  What is my next step?

AFNI took your DV letter as a dispute and not a Debt Validation.  If a consumer disputes an account the CA has the legal right to ask for more information.

Do not send them any information.  Send them another DV with "THIS IS NOT A DISPUTE" across the top and attach a copy of your first DV letter.

Message 5 of 8
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

AFNI took your DV letter as a dispute and not a Debt Validation.  If a consumer disputes an account the CA has the legal right to ask for more information.

What gives them the "legal right"?  I've seen nothing in the FDCPA (15 USC 1692 et sec), that permits the CA to require additional information upon receipt of a dispute.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCRA 623(a)(8) is why they are asking for more information to back up the dispute.

If you use the sample DV letter floating around, the first thing it mentions is "I dispute this debt" (something like that), so CAs are taking the letter as a dispute under FCRA 623 instead of a DV request under FDCPA 809.

Another reason I am a fan of keeping the DV short and simple, to the point.

Message 7 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Is this your account?  Just remember that if it is your account and the CA can't verify it right now that in the future they may either be able to verify or will sell to another CA.  If another CA picks it up then it can be reported yet again on your CR and will look more recent where FICO is concerned.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.