Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afni..

tag
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

Afni..

I just got an letter in the mail from Afni, Inc a few days ago offering me a settlement offer for an old account I had with Cingular (now AT&T) for $100, when my original balance is for $636.27.  I just wanted to know should I sent them a PFD if I pay the $100 or pay it and then send a letter asking if they would remove it from my credit history.

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Afni..

Your choice. 

How old is the debt.  Is it wthin SOL?  What is the DOFD on the OC account?

How important is CR removal to you?

They have made you an offer to settle.  You are considering a counter offer to settle, but only upon the additional condition that they agree in advance to removal from your CR.  Yoou have no idea how they will respond to that offer.

If you just pay, and then ask for GW deletetion, you have lost most of your leverage.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question.

Message 2 of 8
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Your choice. 

How old is the debt.  Is it wthin SOL?  What is the DOFD on the OC account? IDK for either one

How important is CR removal to you?  Well I want to clean up my credit, and try an get a decent interest rate when I try and get a car loan.

They have made you an offer to settle.  You are considering a counter offer to settle, but only upon the additional condition that they agree in advance to removal from your CR.  Yoou have no idea how they will respond to that offer.

If you just pay, and then ask for GW deletetion, you have lost most of your leverage.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question.

Yea I didn't know if there was a quick simple thing...I mean if it's showing paid that's better than it showing my owing a debit and not resovling it correctly?

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In dealing with any collection, the two things you must first know are your DOFD on the OC account, and the current expiration of the SOL should legal action arise.

All else, either in the path of expiration of the CA from your CR, or the expiration of the threat of legal action against you, flows from these two dates.

Do you have records, either from your own files, or what you can piece together from your CR, to show when you first went delinquent on the OC account, and thereafter never became current?  That is your DOFD, and maybe also the date of running of your SOL.

FICO scoring does not care whether a debt has been paid or not.  It records delinquencies that occured up until the time the debt was paid.

Paying a debt that is still in your CR does not affect FICO scoring, but if a potential creditor pulls your CR, they will certainly, upon their manual review, consider a settlement as being better than an unpaid debt.

Message 4 of 8
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

Well I don't know either part of that information, I just settled with them and I believe that I'll try and GW them or something to get it removed.

Message 5 of 8
tbque
Valued Contributor

StoopidMunkee, just email them and ask them to delete because you recently paid them. I settled with them for less than I owed and then sent an email asking hem to delete from all 3 CRA and they did within 2 business days. I'll PM you the email address now, good luck!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you also plz forward any info...I also sent you a inbox

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I just got the same offer to settle my debt for $100 with AFNI. I will pay that next week, but would like to have it removed as I am going to try and buy a condo in the next 3 months. Can you send me the email address as well? It would be much appreciated.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.