Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After the Dispute: What to do?

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

After the Dispute: What to do?

Some of the items I disputed were deleted, others were updated. I received information from only 1 of the creditors by mail referring the "updated" information. Should all of the accounts that remain have sent me something??? Or is the info on the CRA enough?

Do I send direct disputes now? Next step advice? BTW, this is only TU, I still have to get to the other two later on tonight. 

NOTE: TU says if I dispute anything else it needs to be by MAIL, and they want my license # and employer name, SSN and DOB......I do NOT feel comfortable sending it via mail...shouldn't they have all of that info anyway??

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: After the Dispute: What to do?

They don't have to send anything following a dispute.

If the debt is unpaid and you know it is yours, then send PFDs, PFDs, and some more PFDs.

If the debt is unpaid and you are certain it never belonged to you, then you'd want to redispute with a copy of the police report.

If the debt is unpaid and you are uncertain as to how they came up with $x, then contact the OC and get more info, and then DV the CA and wait for their response. Once verified and you agree, then send a PFD.

If there are only lates or paid COs or paid CAs are listed, then fire away with GWs, GWs, and more GWs. 

IMO, only dispute as a last option, and only do so if they are misreporting. There are some unintended consequences with disputing.

Disputing can make it a LOT harder to get the items removed; creditors will make it more difficult to remove items through legit means like PFDs and GWs.

Disputing can damage your credit and FICO by removing items that might not have been too bad in the first place and/or removing older OC accounts which can lower your AAoA/length of history and thus your score.

Disputing will certainly cause an increase in collection activity (the CRAs will forward them your latest credit info) and increase your odds of being sued.

Disputing might make baddies disappear which is a good thing, but the debt won't disappear. The old creditor can resell your debt and that can lead to newer/more baddies reporting down the road (whack-a-mole effect) which can lead to a lower FICO in the long run.

Finally, disputing can lead to to an update in your reporting of any verified TL and that will usually lead to an updated Reported Date, Status, and/or DOLA and that will usually drop your scores. Also some creditors will add lates when they were not reporting them before.

When I first started on here, I did the same thing because someone on another forum suggested I dispute everything. There were more bad things that happened asided from the above and I regretted it for a while. At least if you are going to purse this route, do all 3 at once. Never do each CRA separately.

ETA...what TU did was similar to what EX usually does...frivilous disputer charge. It's a pain, but you'd have to do it via mail in the immediate future. They will relax a bit after a few months/year.

Message 2 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

They don't have to send anything following a dispute.

If the debt is unpaid and you know it is yours, then send PFDs, PFDs, and some more PFDs.

If the debt is unpaid and you are certain it never belonged to you, then you'd want to redispute with a copy of the police report.

If the debt is unpaid and you are uncertain as to how they came up with $x, then contact the OC and get more info, and then DV the CA and wait for their response. Once verified and you agree, then send a PFD.

If there are only lates or paid COs or paid CAs are listed, then fire away with GWs, GWs, and more GWs. 

IMO, only dispute as a last option, and only do so if they are misreporting. There are some unintended consequences with disputing.

Disputing can make it a LOT harder to get the items removed; creditors will make it more difficult to remove items through legit means like PFDs and GWs.

Disputing can damage your credit and FICO by removing items that might not have been too bad in the first place and/or removing older OC accounts which can lower your AAoA/length of history and thus your score.

Disputing will certainly cause an increase in collection activity (the CRAs will forward them your latest credit info) and increase your odds of being sued.

Disputing might make baddies disappear which is a good thing, but the debt won't disappear. The old creditor can resell your debt and that can lead to newer/more baddies reporting down the road (whack-a-mole effect) which can lead to a lower FICO in the long run.

Finally, disputing can lead to to an update in your reporting of any verified TL and that will usually lead to an updated Reported Date, Status, and/or DOLA and that will usually drop your scores. Also some creditors will add lates when they were not reporting them before.

When I first started on here, I did the same thing because someone on another forum suggested I dispute everything. There were more bad things that happened asided from the above and I regretted it for a while. At least if you are going to purse this route, do all 3 at once. Never do each CRA separately.

ETA...what TU did was similar to what EX usually does...frivilous disputer charge. It's a pain, but you'd have to do it via mail in the immediate future. They will relax a bit after a few months/year.

Thanks...I am going to finish this one, then do EQ ane EX all my disputes should be finished before the end of the year. I only have a few baddies left. Two were supposed to fall off, but probably because of the disputes/updates, the DOLA has changed and they have new "fall off" dates of 2015 and 2016.  So, now I have to fight with good old Midland for PFD.  I can only hope. 

Message 3 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@newmomnewme wrote:
Thanks...I am going to finish this one, then do EQ ane EX all my disputes should be finished before the end of the year. I only have a few baddies left. Two were supposed to fall off, but probably because of the disputes/updates, the DOLA has changed and they have new "fall off" dates of 2015 and 2016.  So, now I have to fight with good old Midland for PFD.  I can only hope. 

It's OK that DOLA changes. The date that cannot change is the DOFD. DOFD determines the drop off date.

Now it's possible to have a later drop off date showing -IF- the TL turned positive and reported as a positive thereby changing it from the 7-7.5 yrs to a 10-yr drop off as a positive TL.

Message 4 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Ok, so what do I do about the 2 Midlands that were supposed to drop off this month and then the drop off date changed to 2015 and 2016? Do I leave them alone or try to PFD them?? I dont want to wake them up...but it seems like they are breathing new life all of a sudden.

Message 5 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If a dispute results in any changes to the consumer's credit report, such as deletion or update of information, the CRA is required to send, as part of or in addition to their notice of results of reinvestigation, "a consumer report that is based upon the consumer's file as that file is revised as a result of the reinvestigation."

FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(ii).

Message 6 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

If a dispute results in any changes to the consumer's credit report, such as deletion or update of information, the CRA is required to send, as part of or in addition to their notice of results of reinvestigation, "a consumer report that is based upon the consumer's file as that file is revised as a result of the reinvestigation."

FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(ii).

They did. I was looking at the updated credit report. 11 of 18 items were deleted....2 of the 7 remaining were verified, the others had "new information"  

Message 7 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@newmomnewme wrote:

Ok, so what do I do about the 2 Midlands that were supposed to drop off this month and then the drop off date changed to 2015 and 2016? Do I leave them alone or try to PFD them?? I dont want to wake them up...but it seems like they are breathing new life all of a sudden.

Can you prove on paper (e.g. an invoice, collection notice from 2006, etc.) that the DOFD on both of those TLs was approx 10/2006? 

Message 8 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@newmomnewme wrote:

Can you prove on paper (e.g. an invoice, collection notice from 2006, etc.) that the DOFD on both of those TLs was approx 10/2006? 

Aww man. I don't think so....I only knew they would fall off because of the dates on the TU credit report that was pulled in May 2013. 

Message 9 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

That's the challenge...you have to be able to prove the DOFD. They might have misreported in your favor. Who knows (happened to me a couple of times). Now you can always contact the OC and get info from them via older statements. That would show when your DOFD occured. A long shot is to redispute with a copy of the TU report that showed the misreported info.

What does EQ and EX show?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.