Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aiming for a HIGH FICO score!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aiming for a HIGH FICO score!!!!!

About 6 years ago I was in a financial bind that caused my FICO score to drop from 745 to 580. Since then I've paid off all my debt except for a $2,000 visa credit card. My score has only gone up to 617. I've deputed a few accounts that have had a zero balance for the past 3 - 4 years but still appear on my credit report as a derogatory account due to the payment history. I'm not sure which route to take at this point to improve my credit score. One thing I do know is that I must continue to pay off my $2,000 balance on my visa credit card.  Can someone please help me???

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aiming for a HIGH FICO score!!!!!

Negative accounts generally remain for 7 years from DOFD, paid or unpaid. (Unless you live in NY).

Paying them won't remove them and the negative payment history will remain.

Hate to tell you this, but if those accounts you disputed haven't updated in awhile, when the dispute is finished, you'll likely experience a decrease in score. What is it exactly you are disputing about them? The payment history-- is it accurate?

First step, if you haven't already, is getting your free annual reports. See link below.

Then read all the stickies at the top of the board and the links below. Very helpful information contained within.

Tell us a little more about what you have appearing.

Any public records?

Negative accounts reporting by the OC, CA, both?

For non medical accounts reported by the OC that are PIF, you would want to send a GW letter asking them to remove.

For non medical accounts reported by the OC, you want to be a little more careful GW'ing them. As there are parts of them that positively help your score.

Any open accounts? Is that $2000 visa an open, good standing account?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I pretty much disputed my zero balanced accounts so they are removed from my credit report as they have been paid off over two years ago. Yes, the payment history is accurate.  Yes, I did receive my annual reports and was SOOOOOO disappointed. :-(  This is one of the reasons why I'm aiming to improve my credit. I have no public records.  Please pardon my ignorance, but who are OC, CA and PIF?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as they aren't past CRTP, they can remain on your report. Doesn't matter if they are paid or when you paid them.

For abbreviations, see the link below.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.