Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aliases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aliases

How critical is it to get aliases and incorrect names off of your credit report? I have over 20 different name variations and I have no idea where they come from. I was able to dispute some with Experian but they left them on my account. Does having all those name variations hinder me at all? And will getting them removed help me at all.

2 of the aliases are causing me significant problems. Can I go down to the court and get some type of legal documentation to reflect what my real name is?

Also since the extending of credit is a binding agreement between 2 parties, wouldn't part of debt validation be proving that this agreement exists. Signed application or something? How can a debt be considered mine if I didn't ask for any credit?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: Aliases

I am in the same boat.  My husband and I both have a ton of AKAs on our reports, and whether they hinder us or not, I hate them being there.  there are so many that are wrong, and I am done with it.  I sent letters with copies of our licenses, birth certificates, marriage license, and told them the only name that should be on there is our current first, middle and last, and on mine the first, middle, and maiden last for my only AKA.

I also told them to remove all addresses except our last previous address and our current address.

Fingers crossed they fix it asap.

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to fix a similar situation with us lately.  Send a copy of your drivers license and a copy of a bill in your name with the dispute to prove correct.  Response came back in 1 week.
Message 3 of 9
ProudMomof5
Contributor

It is very important to get all aliases removed from your credit report.  I had so much stuff reporting on my credit report and I had no idea where it came from.  So I pulled all three and noticed that they had my cousin's name down as an alias.  They were reporting all of his debts on my credit report from $2,000 cell phone bills, $1,500 gas bills, etc.  I called the credit bureau who was reporting and they went over all of my personal information with me and deleted what wasn't mine. 
Message 4 of 9
newstart2010
Blogger

Make sure you tell them to report your full name, including spelling out your middle name.  This will help keep other people's credit off your reports.  My husband and I have VERY common first and last names.   We have also had to deal with my mother's credit being on my credit, and her name showing up on my reports.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have to send in any proof? Now my name on my birth certificate is Shameddria Thomas and on my ssn its Shemeddra Thomas. Not sure how that happened, but some of these other names are so far fetched and out in left field its ridiculous....
Message 6 of 9
newstart2010
Blogger

I sent the letters with copies of my birth certificates, a copy of my license, and a copy of my marriage certificate to show the name change.  I also sent a copy of a utility bill to verify address.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!!
Message 8 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

HI,

I would suggest getting ALL of your ID's in the same name.  Because it will only cause problems later in life.

When my mother-in-law was sick, we applied for social security for her.

But her birth cert. was one letter off, from the name she went by for years.

Well she died before her soc sec was approved.

Other things we also applied for her......was denied, for the same reason. 

I would hate to see, all these problems happen to someone else, Especially since we are post 9/11.

So that is why I'm saying while you are young, go ahead a fix the problems now, before they become Huge problems. 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.