Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All My Hard Work Is Gonna Go Up In Smoke

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

All My Hard Work Is Gonna Go Up In Smoke

I started rebuilding my credit in the spring of 2015.
By that fall, I had paid off 3 judgements, removed all charged off accounts but Spring leaf, increased my score by 100 points, was approved for my first car loan, and had 2 Capital One credit cards.
Fast forward several months to now.
Suddenly I have to move and since I'm on SSI the rent is going to take most of the money that I used to make my credit card payments with.
I'm beside myself with worry because I can already see my score plummeting due to the added bill.
I could cry. I don't know what to do. I can't work due to Menieres Disease, else I would have already been working.
I'm 49 years old and feel like a failure.
Should I file bankruptcy?
I could use some advice please.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All My Hard Work Is Gonna Go Up In Smoke

Sorry about your circumstances and I'm just going to throw this out there but if you have Meniere's disease you shouldn't be driving in the first place so the vehicle loan shouldn't have to be an issue. That's an issue that is unsafe for the public and yourself. Bankruptcy should always be a last resort and never a first go to response in my opinion. Why not try to sell your vehicle and work something out with your lender if there is a balance? Take it to carmax and see what they will give you. Then call capital one aND work something out with them. I know it sucks being disabled I'm right there with you. Maybe look into renting a room from someone to save money on rent. Good luck
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the balances of your credit cards?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What are the balances of your credit cards?

I owe $1,300 on one of my cards and $600 on the other. Payments are $35 on the large one and $25 on the small one. 

I called Capital One yesterday and they put me on a payment plan, but, it only lasts for 3 months.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry about your circumstances and I'm just going to throw this out there but if you have Meniere's disease you shouldn't be driving in the first place so the vehicle loan shouldn't have to be an issue. That's an issue that is unsafe for the public and yourself. Bankruptcy should always be a last resort and never a first go to response in my opinion. Why not try to sell your vehicle and work something out with your lender if there is a balance? Take it to carmax and see what they will give you. Then call capital one aND work something out with them. I know it sucks being disabled I'm right there with you. Maybe look into renting a room from someone to save money on rent. Good luck

Thank you for you help.

One of the reasons that I hold onto my car, even if I can only drive to the neighborhood conveinence store, is that I don't have anyone to take me to the store. While Virginia Premier Transportation will drive me to anything medical, there isn't a way to go and get anything at the store. But, I know you're right.

I hate to think about Bankruptcy, but, I hate to think of all of those late monthly reports or charge-offs that will be appearing on my credit report within a couple of months. 

It's just awful, I worked so hard, and I don't know whether to ride it out and wait the seven years for the lates and charge-offs to fall off after they get on there, or, file bankruptcy and start rebuilding after three or five years.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trust me I understand situation I really do.I know how you feel to see all your hard work go down the drain. But honestly where there is a will there is a way and maybe bankruptcy may be your best option I'm just saying maybe it shouldn't be the first choice. Ask away here and lets see if you can't get all other options ruled out first.

As far as your car goes aren't you supposed to surrender your license with that diagnosis? That's why I was a bit shocked that you had a vehicle loan. Maybe still consider selling it and maybe get a vehicle that you don't have a loan on since you don't drive it for anything but short trips to the store and you won't have to carry full coverage insurance.

I'd still try to take the lead and call capital one and talk to them before your latest get out of control and see if they can work with you.

Maybe consider getting a roommate or renting a room from someone to save money for housing, it may not be ideal but it can help.

Good luck and I truly wish you well. Feel free to pm for any support non credit related dealing with disabilty, we have to stick together too.

Message 6 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

SInce you are disabled I would app for a Section 8 apartment in your area immediately if you are about to be homeless you may be put right to the top of the list especially if you have any dependent children. Credit payments are secondary to keeping a roof over your head, creditors cannot touch your SSI so I would not be in any hurry to file any bankruptcy. 

http://www.hud.gov/apps/section8/

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Trust me I understand situation I really do.I know how you feel to see all your hard work go down the drain. But honestly where there is a will there is a way and maybe bankruptcy may be your best option I'm just saying maybe it shouldn't be the first choice. Ask away here and lets see if you can't get all other options ruled out first.

As far as your car goes aren't you supposed to surrender your license with that diagnosis? That's why I was a bit shocked that you had a vehicle loan. Maybe still consider selling it and maybe get a vehicle that you don't have a loan on since you don't drive it for anything but short trips to the store and you won't have to carry full coverage insurance.

I'd still try to take the lead and call capital one and talk to them before your latest get out of control and see if they can work with you.

Maybe consider getting a roommate or renting a room from someone to save money for housing, it may not be ideal but it can help.

Good luck and I truly wish you well. Feel free to pm for any support non credit related dealing with disabilty, we have to stick together too.

Although I have had the symptoms since 1999, I wasn't diagnosed until recently. I have been taking Meclizine and although I am off-balanced, to one degree or another, it keeps the spinning at bay. So, I am blessed there.

I have been accepted at a local apartment complex with reduced rent based on my SSi income and I am not comfortable living with a stranger in this day and time, you know. But, i have thought about it.

If i voluntarily surrender the car, i think that looks as bad as bankruptcy. I don't know. 

I'm afraid to turn down the apartment because of the waiting list to get another and I live in a very small place, Henry, VA. It's actually a village; not enough people for a town, so, rentals(like a room) are very rare and I am in a position where I have to take that apartment on  October 1st.

I'm trying to find something I can do at home...work at home. Even if i could make $10 a day, that would give me $300 a month and my problem would be solved. 

Thanks.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

SInce you are disabled I would app for a Section 8 apartment in your area immediately if you are about to be homeless you may be put right to the top of the list especially if you have any dependent children. Credit payments are secondary to keeping a roof over your head, creditors cannot touch your SSI so I would not be in any hurry to file any bankruptcy. 

http://www.hud.gov/apps/section8/

Hi,

It's just me...I don't have any children or husband.

In the spring I put in an application for a 1 bedroom apartment and was approved this month. I have to take it by the first of October.

I know they can't take any of my SSI. I'm just upset about my credit score. I have a half acre lot and 1987 mobile home that is paid for, but, the home has suffered a lot of water damage late last year. I've been staying with family since then and my niece is getting married, so, I needed to find another place to live since they will be staying with her parents until they get on their feet.

One of the main reasons that I was working so hard to get my score up is to get a small loan through the USDA Rural Home Repair program to fix my home. i have been looking for help for nearly 2 years to repair my home, or to get down payment assistance on another mobile home. I've been turned down at many places for different reasons. 

If I ruin my credit, I can't even get approved for that program.

Even if I had just another $100 a month, that would take care of my two cards.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I take meclizine also as well as Zofran on top of a host of other meds, though I don't have Meniere's.

As far as your car goes, I would still try to sell it before thinking it about repossession.

Gdale6 had an excellent point about section 8. I would definitely look into that if I were you.

There are plenty of customer service jobs that you can do from home. I know apple and amazon hire people to work customer service lines from home, maybe look into that. My fiance is a nurse in a local er here in tampa and one of her coworkers has a wife who just just interviewed with amazon for a home customer service job.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.