Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alltel Disaster

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alltel Disaster

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Here is an email I sent to Alltel via their online contact us link after getting told by a Customer Service supervisor that it was my only recourse to try and solve the issue.

*snip*

To whom it may concern:

I was an Alltel customer located in zip code 66605 (Topeka, KS). I had constant connectivity issues due to their being no Alltel tower located in my area. At one point, during numerous calls to customer service, I was transfered to a technical department and was advised that the issues were because I was getting directed to a Sprint tower, due to the fact that Alltel did not have service in my area.

I was advised that I could transfer my 4 lines to Verizon Wireless, due to the merger of Alltel and Verizon. I was told the only issue I would have was that my phones would not work on Verizon and I would need to purchase new phones from Verizon at my own expense. I did port all 4 lines to Verizon and I purchased Verizon phones at my own cost.

During a routine check on my credit report on 8-05-2009 I noticed an entry for Alltel for $1054. I called Alltel customer service on 8-05-2009 and was told I needed to call Verizon. I then called Verizon on the same date and spoke with customer service rep Edward in Arizona. His employee number is 2710.

Edward from Verizon was very helpful and even stayed on the line as a 3 way call was made back to Alltel. Edward was privy to the conversations with Alltel and can act as a witness if needed. He advised he had no problem acting as a witness to the conversation and treatment that followed.

We 1st spoke with a Alltel representative whose name and employee number I did not get. This representative was confused and stated I needed to call my bank after Edward from Verizon and I attempted to explain the situation to him. At some point he said he would transfer us to a supervisor. We were then transfered to another Alltel representative, and not a supervisor.

We were eventually transfered to an Alltel supervisor who identified herself as Amy in Texas, employee number 778044. After Edward and I explained the situation to her she became rude and very unhelpful. She accused me of "making excuses" and at some point hung up on Edward (Verizon rep) and I. She had previously informed me that she did not have a supervisor above her that the Verizon rep and I could speak with, and instructed me to this online form as my only option to resolve the matter.

To summarize: I had Alltel service in Topeka, KS (66605) and was getting constant disconnects and no data service. I called numerous times and was transfered to a technical department that informed me I was getting directed to a Sprint tower because Alltel did not have service in my area. I was told by Alltel that I could port my numbers to Verizon due to the announced merger and the only issue I would have is that I would need to purchase Verizon phones as Alltel phones would not work.

I purchased Verizon phones, at a cost from my own pocket, on the advice of an Alltel rep and I ported the numbers to Verizon on the advise of an Alltel rep. I now have a derogatory comment on my credit report from Alltel for ETF's that I was not told about. I was told the only issue I would have since Verizon purchased Alltel was that I would need to purchase Verizon phones, which I did, at an additional expense to myself.

Edward the Verizon rep (employee # 2710) was on the phone the entire time and even after Amy the Alltel supervisor (employee # 778044) hung up on us both, he continued to apologize for her actions. Edward from Verizon is to be commended for his outstanding customer service. This letter will also be forwarded to Verizon.

The bottom line of the issue is the entry onto my credit report of a past due / collection amount to Alltel for $1054.00. I was never told of any ETF's and was instructed by Alltel to port to Verizon.

I have no problem paying what I owe and paying my bills on time but for me to be told to port due to no service in my area and then have my credit report dinged is odd. The Alltel supervisor Amy (employee # 778044) was so horrible, rude, and unhelpful that the Verizon rep who was on the 3 way call the entire time had to apologize for her numerous times. He can be contacted at Verizon and advised he would keep notes reference this situation and also advised that he had no problem acting as a witness in this matter. He is again, Edward in Arizona and his Verizon employee number is: 2710.

Please advise what I need to do so that this entry may be removed from my credit report.

*/snip*

I completed the online contact us that I was told was my only option and here is the response I recieved. It's almost like they didn't spend more than 10-seconds on it.

*snip*

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Alltel Communications. Unfortunately, your account is no longer managed by Alltel. Your account has been placed with Focus Receivables. To dispute this account further you may contact a Focus representative at 1-800-618-2305.

Thank you,

LaKeshia

*/snip*

Where do I go from here? BBB and State Attorney General? Should I contact the CA? Write a hard letter and mail it?

Again, thanks in advance!!!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

Re: Alltel Disaster

What a mess!

IMO, I would file a complaint with BBB, and file a complaint with the AG with the same details in your post.

I would NOT contact the CA at this point.  (Have they contacted you?)  If and when you do, no phone calls!  Keep it all in writing!

Do you have docs to back up what you were instructed by Alltel to do?

Someone with far more experience than I will be along shortly to give you further information. 

Good luck to you!

D-R

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it's quite the mess and unfortunately I do not have proof of my previous conversations with Alltel. The rude Alltel supervisor mentioned above did state their were numerous notes on my account about connectivity issues but she said their were no notes about me being told to port to Verizon. It's been 9 months since I ported and I have no clue whom I spoke with.

I trusted Alltel word even more because of the announced merger with Verizon. That's why I ported to Verizon and not a different carrier. My preference would have been ATT but this was not an option.

I truly believed when I ported, based on the merger, and what I was told by Alltel, that I was / would be fine. This is obviously not the case.

I have to wonder how many other people were told to port by Alltel based on the merger and then got hit with EFT's from Alltel. A quick way to make a few million dollars I suppose but very, very dishonest ...

Thanks for the response!

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent the same letter above to Alltel via PlanetFeedback, filed a complaint with the BBB and filed a complaint with my State Attorney General...

We shall see if this gets me anywhere. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFB is awseome that is how i got my CO from Verizon removed. good luck
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBB did me no good. They closed the complaint and sent me a form letter that says they do not investigate disputes...

Here is the response I got:

*snip*

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 8/16/2009 8:27:32 AM against Alltel Corp. - Main Center.  Your complaint was assigned ID 795xxxx.

In reviewing the issue you brought to us, it appears that the BBB cannot directly help you with this issue.  The BBB does not handle complaints about the following:

·   Employer/employee disputes.

·   Complaints against government agencies unless the government operates a utility and the complaint involves administrative matters such as billing.

·    Contractual issues, breaching a contract. You may wish to consult an attorney.

·    Landlord/tennant complaints.

·   Complaints against individuals who are not engaged in a business (e.g., a person who sells their personal car through a classified advertisement).

·   Complaints alleging discrimination or violation of similar statutory/constitutional rights.

·   Complaints alleging criminal violations by company employees except for complaints alleging theft by company employees while performing services.

·   Complaints raising issues concerning the competency of doctors, dentists, licensed therapists, veterinarians, and lawyers. We would handle billing disputes that do not involve underlying competency issues.

·   Complaints that challenge the validity of local, state or federal law. For example, we would not accept a complaint against a cable company seeking a change in rates set by law. We would accept a complaint against a cable company alleging that its charges were inaccurately computed in accordance with applicable rates.

·   Complaints that are solely based on the consumer's dissatisfaction with a company's prices;

You may wish to contact the following agency or consult a legal advisor for advice about your issue. 

If you should have any questions about our assessment of this situation, please do not hesitate to contact us.  Thank you for your interest in an ethical marketplace. 

Regards,

edited
Complaints & Mediation

*/snip*

Edited to remove personal information.

Message Edited by llecs on 08-17-2009 05:38 PM
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

And the Alltel saga continues. I got a letter from Alltel today saying I need to contact the CA. I have not heard a word from the CA so I assume it was a recent transfer and the CA has not contacted me yet.

Alltel Executive Customer Relations  wrote me the letter saying they made multiple attempts to contact me (not true) and if they did I never recieved the letters.

Here is my response sent via email to him dated today:

*snip*

Alltel Communications
1 Allied Drive B4F03-NF
Little Rock, Arkansas 72202-2013

Attn: Ricky xxxx
Phone: 501-xxx-xxxx
Fax: 501-xxx-xxxx

Subject:: Collection account / credit reporting (former Alltel phone # xxx-xxx-xxxx)

Amount: $1054.00

Date: 08/22/2009

Mr. Ricky xxxxx:

I am in receipt of your letter dated 8-19-09. In response to your letter I will respond that I did not receive and any mailings from Alltel. I have received email notifications monthly that my bill is available to view, but I am not allowed to login as it states the phone number is not a valid Alltel number. I was under the impression that if I still had a valid bill the website would have allowed me to login and view it.

Next, if I owe for airtime, or my normal monthly bill I have no problem paying this amount. I will not pay any EFT charges as I was instructed by your company to port to Verizon due to Alltel not having service in my area and due to the Verizon merger. I ported and still have a valid Verizon account that is paid on time month after month.

I am offering and I am trying to resolve this issue with your company, but at this point I may be speaking with the wrong person. I simply want this item removed from my credit report as it is not a valid entry.

At this point my options with your company are becoming limited. I do not wish to file a lawsuit, contact the Better Business Bureau, or file a complaint with my State Attorney General. I suppose I can also file a complaint with the FTC and seek relief under the FCRA. This would be a complete waste of our times when this matter can be resolved rather easily.

If I owe any amount besides the EFT's I will make full payment of those fees in exchange for the removal of the entry from the Credit Reporting Agencies.

All I am asking is that the matter be resolved. Your company told me to port due to lack of service and now your company is charging me EFT's all because I followed what your company told me to do. I do understand the merger between Alltel and Verizon was and probably still is confusing times. This is even more reason for us to resolve the matter.

This letter will be faxed and sent certified mail to your office.

*/snip*

What a disaster.... Any ideas on what I can do?

Message Edited by LunkHead on 08-22-2009 09:39 AM
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lunkhead, I don't understand how Alltel could charge you for a service that they couldn't provide, especially when they didn't have a tower in your area. Usually, they ask for your zip code to see if you can get service in that area.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a mess from the start. I dealt with the issues of disconnects and no data on my BlackBerry for a year.. I guess they had an agreement with Sprint to bounce Alltel users in the area off a Sprint tower. I was always on roam but did not get charged for roaming. Once the merger was announced, I was told to port to Verizon which I did... Now the fiasco begins...
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

LunkHead,

You should also file a complaint with the FCC regarding this matter. What's the timeframe for the AG to complete their investigation in your state?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.