Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost a NFCU Member!

tag
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Almost a NFCU Member!

Hi all, I keep reading about NFCU on here and pretty much admitted defeat to myself, that I would never become a member.  I joined PenFed instead.  Upon doing more research I found out I can use my late grandfather as entry into NFCU since he was in the service.  I never met the man but a quick internet search gave me his full name, DOB, DOD, and social!  I called NFCU and they said just findout what branch he is in and you will be good to go.

I said: "Well how do they verify that I am related to him".. and the woman said "We really don't"... I have a message out to my aunt to let me know what service her father served in and I will apply :-)  .  Does anyone know what CRA they do a hard inquiry on?  I am dying to app for one of their cards.!

I still have some baddies, should I wait to apply if I get approved?

Wish me luck!

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Almost a NFCU Member!

They pull Transunion for membership and Equifax for products. I had a 598 score when I got the Cash Rewards for $3k. So gives you kind of an idea. They are very generous with those of us with less than perfect credit!
Message 2 of 20
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Wow 3K ! I would kill for that.  My EXP is my worse though :-( .  My Equifax is the only one I monitor with SW and is at 650 my others I am not sure about .  I am crossing fingers

Message 3 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

They pull Equifax and I have seen people with 650+ get 5 digit limits!! Go for it!!! Navcheck too! That's the overdraft line of credit for checking. Max is $15k

Message 4 of 20
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

really? I am afraid my Exp is poor because I have a recently settled judgement :-( what is navcheck?

Message 5 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

They don't pull Experian. Equifax and you're in great shape for a high limit card. Like I said, Navcheck is the line of credit that will report as a revolving tl on your credit. You can write checks from it or overdraft your checking and pull from it.
Message 6 of 20
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@tfkallday wrote:

really? I am afraid my Exp is poor because I have a recently settled judgement :-( what is navcheck?

I hope you join. It has been awesome; I joined 11/7/2013, approved for 10k CashRewards Visa 11/8/2013, CS was around 640. NavCheck is an overdraft protection line of credit that reports as a revolving line of credit (this can help your overall util and possibly improve your CS). 

I would apply as soon as you join; I think you will be pleased. The customer service is phenomenal, the interest rates are good, and the initial CL are stunning. When I found out I was approved for 10k, my jaw dropped. It is my highest CL ever....check out some of the threads about NFCU. 

Only negative is they seem to give HP inq more often than other lenders, but they don't seem to mind the number of inq either. So, not so bad. 

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!!!

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:

Message 7 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

It's also figured into your cc utilization. So great line to have!
Message 8 of 20
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Amazing thanks for all of the information.  I am so excited.

Message 9 of 20
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
They don't pull Experian. Equifax and you're in great shape for a high limit card. Like I said, Navcheck is the line of credit that will report as a revolving tl on your credit. You can write checks from it or overdraft your checking and pull from it.

@Oh, @baller4life, I just noticed in a few days you will be getting your bronze spade. Early congrats and encouragement on reaching that milestone. I was a little sad to give mine up last week... 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.