Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being impatient?!?

tag
alexhortdog
Regular Contributor

Am I being impatient?!?

Okay, kind folks. I have had my score drop about 16 points because I've been using my credit here.  Purchases here and there, but I've always paid on time and I've never been too close to my limit.

How can I continue to get my score to rise?!?  I'm at a 648 right now, and I feel like I'm holding.

Everytime I've tried to do a credit line increase, I'm getting denied.

On the plus, my car will be paid off in another couple of months.  Should I just dig my heels in, pay off my cards, and then pay cash for most (with the occasional use of credit)?

Next steps if you would please!  Smiley Mad

Starting Score: 605 (Experian); 588 (Equifax); 590 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 626 (Experian); 667 (Equifax); 670 (TransUnion)
Goal Score: 800

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Re: Am I being impatient?!?

Trying paying off your balance and keep less than 10% utilization for maximum point in this category. 

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 2 of 4
alexhortdog
Regular Contributor

So get this...a day or two after I posted this, I decided to increase my secured card balance by 100 bucks.  So I did the deposit and am waiting, and notice that my credit limit was increased 100 bucks.  But then, I get an email that says the following:

alexhortdog95, we've increased your credit line‏!

Sometimes being a responsible customer pays off—like right  now! We’ve increased your credit line by $100.  This increase is unsecured and provided automatically, so you don’t need to send an additional deposit to cover it. A higher credit line means you’ll enjoy more flexibility and be better prepared for life’s unexpected  expenses.

Now put your new credit line to work for you. You’ve earned  it! To check out this increase, just access your  account online. And of course, feel free to keep adding funds to your security deposit.

So, I'm like, WHAT THE HECK?!?  You guys increased my credit line by 100 bucks unsecured after I gave you 100 bucks?!?  So I called them this morning and the young lady told me that I'd be getting my deposit increase as I wanted.....along with an additional 100 dollar increase on them! 

My original limit was 201.00.  I have a balance of about 99.52 on the card now. This particular card's utilization went from 49% to 33% in less than 24 hours, and should drop down to 25% once the deposit goes through as well!

So, overall, my utilization went from 5.7% to 3.4% utilization!  WOOT!

Starting Score: 605 (Experian); 588 (Equifax); 590 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 626 (Experian); 667 (Equifax); 670 (TransUnion)
Goal Score: 800

Message 3 of 4
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Personal experiences...I've gone months on end without any movement, then BAM!!! It's a "wait, and see" game. Just pay the bills, and watch reporting util.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.