Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing this right?

tag
whydoineedaname
Regular Contributor

Am I doing this right?

So... I am rebuilding and as you see I have a few nice cards below for the shape my credit was in.  BK7 is now 15 months in the past.  We basicly kept our head low and did not use credit for the first 12-13 months post bankruptcy.  Bad habbits got me into a mess needed to learn to use cash and not credit.

NOW that we have grown a bit and are making a bit of money we still try to live like we are on CASH.

With the exception of the Kolh's card we plan on using each card a little here and a little there.  The Discover for purchases where we get the most rewards, Barclay for grocery/gas and the Navy Federal well... Its new to use so we will see :-)

Our goal is to pay in full each month with a few exceptions that I will explain in a bit. Carrying a very small ballance rotating through the barclay, discover, navy federal.

I am pusing most of my purchases through my Barclay card  $585 through last statement, $822 so far this statement (closes on the 17th) with only about $80 through the Discover.

Should I spread this spending out a bit over my cards?  I send a payment at least once a week sometimes 2-3 times a week.  So I am not worried about the util reporting high.

My goal is a CLI on each of the cards but better yet is to build good solid credit relationships over the next year.  We want to buy a house so we can stop paying other peoples mortages!  I also want to maxamise on our cash back!  Why not get cash back when its already something we were going to buy.

Exceptions to the pay in full...

We are moving at the end of May and had to put down a security deposit on the next place (wrote the check off the navy federal card).  As quick as we get our current deposit back we will pay down this one.  Sucks that we dont have the money but thats how it goes sometimes...  Second exception to the pay in full : My daughter will be born on or before Friday.  While we have kind of amazing insurance we expect to see about a 1-1.3k in bills...  The hospital is going to hate me but... I am going to spread that over a card or three for the best utils!  Then chunk away at the payments so that we dont end up using to much intrest...

In a nut shell we are paying things on time :student loans, car loans, credit cards, bills

I am in the guarden until next year when we apply for a home: capital one keeps sending me 1-2 pre approvals a week but... they make good fire starter for camp fires :-)   Let them come...

I am using my credit cards like debit cards to the best of my ability.  No cash == no toys...

Looks like Barclay is pulling regular soft pulls on me because I see the scores updating (3 times in almost two months that I have had them) they started report a 648 but now its a 650! Slow and Steady gets you to the finish line...

So in summary:

• Is it okay to run more than my limit each month being that I pay it down so often?
  • Should I focus spend like I am through one card?  Is that going to help trigger a CLI
  • OR should spread out the love over cards in a more equal manner?
  • Is there anything I can do better?

Equifax 3/29/2013 - 649, 4/1/2014 - 651, 4/14/2014 - 662, 4/16/2014 - 655
Transunion 3/29/2014 - 648, 4/29/2014 - 650, 5/1/2014 - 653, 6/10/2014 - 662 (barclay/discover), (4/16/2014 - 658 - lender pull)
Experian 4/1/2014 - 653, 4/14/2014 - 669
What in my wallet? Secured Card $550, Barclaycard Reward $3100, Discover IT $1300, Kohl's $400, Navy Federal cashReward $2500, Navy Federal $17800 for a car 2.79% for 72 months.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Am I doing this right?

I think you're doing fine.  As long as you don't max out the card or go over limit you should be golden.

I wouldn't worry about the CLIs right now.  Just focus on paying on time and keeping a healthy CR.  Let those cards garden and your CR heal.  You'll be just fine.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.