Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to awake a sleeping dog?

tag
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

Am I going to awake a sleeping dog?

So apparently now I am trying to assist the family with their repair....

1 old sprint account for 226.00

sold to one company opened 7/2009

showing charged off no balance or past due

then sold to another on 1/2010

showing charged off or collection

but still shows balance

sold again in 8/2011

charged off  or collection

experian showing balance owed

transunion shows no balance

sold again to undisclosed collection agency just shows collection as the account  name which I assume is the one above as same time bought

8/2011

chargeoff or collection no past due or balance

where or how would I start with this?

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Am I going to awake a sleeping dog?

dobirdsmommy - 

1.  Is there an address for the new collection agency?   A phone number?

2.  Has the family member received a collection letter?

3.  Is the money really owed?

4.  Will the family member contact Sprint and pay them directly?

Message 2 of 12
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

1.  Is there an address for the new collection agency?   A phone number? - there is no new collection agency  it shows last date of selling 8/2011- for enhanced recovery collection. claims different  either chargeoff or not charged off depending on the credit reports.

2.  Has the family member received a collection letter?- no recent collection letters

3.  Is the money really owed?- well depends on who you want to believe... Contract was cancelled before, but the CSR's name who was written down can not recollect the conversation yet Sprint does have a record of her speaking to my sister.

4.  Will the family member contact Sprint and pay them directly?- she will call sprint directly since it is still within the SOL, but if Sprint says no, will this re-awaken the debt?

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 3 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

1.  Have sis send a letter (DV) to the last known CA that you have an address for.

2.  Understandable that the CSR may not remember sis specifically, but don't all calls get tape recorded?   Ask a manager/supervisor  to either provide sis with a hard copy of the phone conversation  where she cancelled the contract on xx/xx/2009 with CSR xxx  OR remove the tradeline, cancel the CA, write a letter stating there is zero monies owed.

Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am having trouble understanding the scenario....

I get lost after the OC charged-off the debt, sold it, and reported a $0 balance due.  That was proper, and makes sense.

The charge-off is kinda immaterial to the scenario, other than the fact that it was reported by the OC.

If the OC sold the debt, they would have been done with it.  Was it the OC who then reported a balance due?

If they sold it, they have no more debt to report.... it should remain as $0.

The amount charged-off would still appear in the OC reporting, but not a debt balance due.

Who is reporting all of these different balances, and what do the balances refer to? 

How do you know, from your CR, that the debt was sold, then resold, etc?

Message 5 of 12
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

Experian     Account Name: Account Number:
WEST ASSET MANAGEMENT  
2512XXXX

Account Type:Installment 

Account Status: Monthly Payment:-

Date Opened:01/2010

Balance:$226 

Terms:   

High Balance:- 

Limit:- 

Past Due:$226

Payment Status:Chargeoff or Collection

Experian     Account Name: Account Number:
RECEIVABLE MANAGEMENT  
35063XXXX

Account Type:Installment 

Account Status: 

Monthly Payment:- 

Date Opened:07/2009 

Terms:  

Past Due:- 

Experian Equifax TransUnion Account Name: Account Number: Account Type: Account Status:
ENHANCED RECOVERY CO L ENHANCRCVRCO
5468XXXX5468XXXX
InstallmentOpen

Monthly Payment:--

Date Opened:08/2011

08/2011

Balance:$226 $226

Terms:  

High Balance:

--Limit:--

Past Due:$226

-Payment Status:Chargeoff or Collection

Chargeoff or CollectionComments: Placed for collection 

Equifax   Account Name: Account Number:
 Collection (636YC24792) 

5468XXXX 

Account Type: 

Account Status: 

Monthly Payment:-

Date Opened:08/2011 

Terms:   

Past Due:-

This is how it appears.

Sprint was never on her CR, so never reported by OC

The 226.00 was the contract fee

Message 6 of 12
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

The way I always start is knowing what  the DoFD on the OC account.

Then find out if this account is within or passed the states SOL.

Just remember, SOL has nothing to do with CR's.    

It's the time peroid a Creditor can sue and win.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Thanks for the CR data... it helps understand, and I agree, it does not add up.....

First, dont assume that just because a collection reports, the debt collector has purchased/owns the debt.  It could be just a collection referral.

Looking at the reports, I see a first debt collector (Receivable Mgmt) reporting in 7/2006, and still showing their collection open with $226 under collection.

I then see a second debt collector (West Asset) reporting a collection on 1/2010, showing a balance under collection of $226.

Up to that point, it could all be accurate reporting.  If debt collector 1 purchased the debt, and debt collector 2 is just their assigned agent, both the owner and their assigned debt collector could report the same debt, one as the owner, the other as the amount they are collecting.

But it all falls apart in my mind when debt collector 3 (Enhanced Recov.) also reported an open collection, with the same $226 bal.

If debt collector 1 owns the debt, and has now hired a new debt collector as their agent, debt collector 2 should have reported closing their collection, with a $0 balance under their collection authority.

With all three now reporting the debt, only one can be the owner, and only one active collection assignment should be showing.

It looks to me that the real problem is failure to update the current balance authorized as under collection as the ownership/assigned collection authority shifted.

Not a huge problem, as each can simply update their status.  But it clearly is not accurate reporting.

A real mess......

My read would be that you arent wakening a sleeping giant.  It looks as if no one is taking any real action, and the account is just being bartered about.

Just as confused as you are, they are apparently just as confused about who is doing what with respect to real collection of the debt.

Just make sure to timely DV each debt collector as they send dunning notice, and thus put a cease collector bar on each until such time as they decide to provide verification back from the OC.

Message 8 of 12
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

Thank you. I figured the credit report would help

Should I DV them all and see what Sticks?

Message 9 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, I just modified my post to suggest just that.

They apparently dont know what they want to do, perchance because the OC is reluctant to provide verification to them.

DV would be my path....

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.