cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I just going to keep getting denied?

tag

Am I just going to keep getting denied?

I'm not proud to say this, but I've probably submitted 20 or more applications in the past six months. I keep telling myself I should garden, but I just want a good card so much. I keep getting denied, I even got denied by my credit union. The reason? Too many student loans (they're under IBR), and not enough income. There isn't much I can do about either of these things right now. So am I just going to keep getting denied as long as I have low income and student loans? I am not required to pay anything on the student loans at this time.
Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Am I just going to keep getting denied?

@triedtogetacardandcouldnt wrote:
I'm not proud to say this, but I've probably submitted 20 or more applications in the past six months. I keep telling myself I should garden, but I just want a good card so much. I keep getting denied, I even got denied by my credit union. The reason? Too many student loans (they're under IBR), and not enough income. There isn't much I can do about either of these things right now. So am I just going to keep getting denied as long as I have low income and student loans? I am not required to pay anything on the student loans at this time
The short answer is yes. I would not app for anything for at least the next 6 months and more towards 1 year.
Message 2 of 14
los_west
Regular Contributor

Stop applying!   Damaging your credit is quick, the repair and gardening process takes time!

Your creditors wants to know you can afford to pay back your charges.  So as long as you have low income and student loan repayments, they are going to be skeptical that you can pay up.

You need to stop applying because all the inquiries are bound to bite you in the rear.  Too many inquiries may become a reason for future denials.

Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 3 of 14

I could live with no apps for a year if I had at least gotten approved for a few cards. Ugh...
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 4 of 14
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Those cards you have in your siggy... well,, they need some garden time.  Lay off for at least 6 months, garden well what you have.  It will put you in a much better position.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 14
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

If you NEED a card start trying secured cards would likely yield better results. That's how most of us started our credit rebuild journey.
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 6 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I started a year ago with a $1000 CapOne card and a score in the 640s.

Patience is key.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

All those inquiries can bite you, big time.  Just GARDEN what you have. 

Can you open up a secured card?

If you don't have enough income, you're not going to get approved for a big limit.  You have to start small.  Small limits lead to medium limits, which lead to larger limits....and so on.

PATIENCE is key!

Message 8 of 14
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I'm joining the garden chorus. Pick up a shovel and a mint julep and relax!

One thing you can do while gardening is take advantage of the soft-pull CLIs on the Wal-Mart card. That will enable you to grow your available credit without racking up more inquiries.

Otherwise, patience is going to be the key. Focus on doing well in school and landing a good job afterward that will give you the income you need to pay off those student loans and qualify for better cards.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 9 of 14

Eek...this is embarrassing...I actually finished school i...

Eek...this is embarrassing...I actually finished school in late 2010. Bad economy, can't do what I love and so on so forth.

On to more relevant topics...double eek. Just got three new credit cards. Whoops. I guess my official gardening time can start now. No more apps. I have to repeat it like a mantra. No more apps, no more apps, no more apps.

Luckily for me I love digging in the dirt.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.