Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing something? (Equifax)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I missing something? (Equifax)

I posted earlier about a $94 collection I have from 1/2011 that I have asked both original creditor and the collection agency to verify - and neither have.  I filed a complaint with the CFPB (on 3/2 but heard nothing back yet - EXCEPT the CA sent me a new bill to my UPDATED address from the complaint).  I disputed on TU and they deleted yesterday, I disputed with Experian and they deleted today...I disputed last week with Equifax and they closed the dispute today because "the CA verified the account".

So I redisputed it with Equifax and i just called them and told them that I have asked the OC and CA for validation and verification and received no replies, that I filed the CFPB complaint and that the CA took the address from the complain and sent another bill, but still no back up.  I asked them what back up did they receive from the CA that it was valid?  She said that the company just verified electronically it was valid.  We just went in circles and I said thank you and hung up.

Are they suppose to get some kind of verification other than "yeah, it's her??"

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Am I missing something? (Equifax)

When you file a dispute, the CRA is required to send a copy of the dispute to the furnisher of the information, and the furnisher is required to conduct a reasonable investigation and report their finding back to the CRA.  If their finding is that they verify the accuracy of the information as reported they are not required to send factual evidence or prove its accuracy.   Requiring that they present discovery of all their supporting evidence and then prove the accuracy is a legal process reserved for the courts, not a requirment of the administrative disute process.

You can always file a civil action if you seek discovery of their evidence and/or a legal finding as to the accuracy of the information.

The prior requests for validation made before the dispute filed with the CRA do not require response by the debt collector.

DV requests, if timely, impose a cease collection bar, not a requirment to or period for any response.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.