Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am i in with NFCU??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am i in with NFCU??

In the process of rebuilding i joined NFCU and opened a saving in the hopes to get a secured CC and start building history with them. Got the congrats on joining welcome email. My father in law was in the airforce. They didn't ask any details in order to verify. I'm wondering is that it or should i expect a follow up inquiry from them? Need to know what to have ready. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am i in with NFCU??

If you received an access number with your welcome pack, you are now a NFCU member!  My DH had to scan a copy of his DL and SS card at some point and email it to them BUT we did his app via mail and it was just a verification step.  I think that is a case by case type thing.  We didn't even know about that until I tried to join from his membership.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I got an access number and checking account number at the end when I finished signing up not through email. Email just said congrats , we are glad you joined .
Message 3 of 9
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah I got an access number and checking account number at the end when I finished signing up not through email. Email just said congrats , we are glad you joined .

Be really careful, they are serious about security. Was your father in law retired Air Force? Meaning 20 years of service?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think so and I remember selecting "not retired" in the qualification window prior to it telling me I can apply. I'll have to ask him , this was about 35 years ago
Message 5 of 9
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think so and I remember selecting "not retired" in the qualification window prior to it telling me I can apply. I'll have to ask him , this was about 35 years ago

So the deal with NFCU is they will often approve an application and then later on, when you go to apply for credit, additional verification is required. Make sure you have proof that your father-in-law was retired military. And he should have joined first and then sponsored you. Or make sure that you are eligible under one of their other criteria: active military or DoD, household member of a current NFCU member, or immediate family member of a current NFCU member etc. This is important. If you don't have the paperwork ready for them if/when they do additional verification you will be in a world of hurt. It might not happen, but it does. Check these threads:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/NFCU-Nightmare/m-p/1575662/highlight/true#M205751

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-Restriction-Security-Department/m-p/3718664/highlight/true#M2778

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NFCU-Membership-Verification/m-p/3038150/highlight/true#M859102?filter=labels&q=NFCU+freeze

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Got-the-dreaded-account-freeze-from-NFCU/m-p/3056512/highlight/true#M863279?filter=labels&q=NFCU+freeze

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just read the threads. Wow! I better get the paperwork ready!
Message 7 of 9
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just read the threads. Wow! I better get the paperwork ready!

They're awesome if you have a legitimate in. I don't mean to scare you, but just to inform you before you make a financial commitment. Good luck!

Message 8 of 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Just don't put a ton of cash in there for now.  My g/f thought she was 'in' and they cancelled her membership and it took a long time for her to get the cash she had deposited.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.