Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Advice

tag
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

American Express Advice

Hi all,

I'm really glad to be part of this site and its forums. All of the advice I have found has been really great!

I have two American Express credit cards. One for business and one for personal use. Around 2011 we decided to use a dmp to consolidate and pay off our personal credit cards, this American Express personal card included. At the same time we decided to pay off and close our business American Express card.

Fast forward to now. We are almost completely done with our dmp and both of my American Express cards are payed in full as of August! Today I called to just see what was going on with my business card and I was shocked to find out that they wanted to reinstate my account at its prior credit limit and would be mailing my new card out today! The business card debt was managed by GC Services. The personal card is a different story though and I was hoping I could get some advice.

The personal American Express was turned into a collection account managed by NCO Financial for American Express when we started our dmp. I didn't realize they were handling the account since it was through my dmp. My problem is that the account is being reported as 90+ days late on my Experian credit report. The account was current when we joined the dmp and we have not missed any payments in the last 4.5 years. NCO and American Express can both verify that all my payments were made on time and the account is paid in full. I called every number I can find for American Express and have spoken to NCO several times and they are all saying that this is normal for the reporting and that there is nothing that I can do to remove it.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can proceed to possibly get that reporting changed on my credit report? I'm feeling a bit lost as I feel like I have exhausted all available options. Thank you guys for any help!

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Advice

I would call American Express back and speak to a customer service rep in the credit department. I have a green personal use AMX and a Gold Business card for my company. They have bent over backwards to help me howver I have never been late. They are all about customer service and I suggest calling and seeking help

Message 2 of 6
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm really glad to be part of this site and its forums. All of the advice I have found has been really great!

I have two American Express credit cards. One for business and one for personal use. Around 2011 we decided to use a dmp to consolidate and pay off our personal credit cards, this American Express personal card included. At the same time we decided to pay off and close our business American Express card.

Fast forward to now. We are almost completely done with our dmp and both of my American Express cards are payed in full as of August! Today I called to just see what was going on with my business card and I was shocked to find out that they wanted to reinstate my account at its prior credit limit and would be mailing my new card out today! The business card debt was managed by GC Services. The personal card is a different story though and I was hoping I could get some advice.

The personal American Express was turned into a collection account managed by NCO Financial for American Express when we started our dmp. I didn't realize they were handling the account since it was through my dmp. My problem is that the account is being reported as 90+ days late on my Experian credit report. The account was current when we joined the dmp and we have not missed any payments in the last 4.5 years. NCO and American Express can both verify that all my payments were made on time and the account is paid in full. I called every number I can find for American Express and have spoken to NCO several times and they are all saying that this is normal for the reporting and that there is nothing that I can do to remove it.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can proceed to possibly get that reporting changed on my credit report? I'm feeling a bit lost as I feel like I have exhausted all available options. Thank you guys for any help!

Why not dispute it with the CRA's and make the lender do the work for you? If it was never late as you say, then Amex/NCO should back up your claim, and this shouldn't be a problem. 

Message 3 of 6
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

What Amex has told me is that since we were in the dmp sometimes the payments are not enough to cover the minimum due and they are reported as late. To me this doesn't make sense because they agreed to accept the payments at the interest rate that was negotiated and for the length of time negotiated. We were never deliquent on this account before the dmp or during it.

I was told by their credit bureau dept that they will not and cannot change what has been reported for this account. Their EO told me the same thing.

Just for fun I asked if they would reinstate my account which was a resounding NO! LOL

Message 4 of 6
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

Update...

As of 09/25/2015 Amex has removed the 90+ late from my reports! The account is now reported as paid in full and closed by credit grantor. My Experian score went up pretty dramatically from this.

After calling and talking to so many people and getting lots of different stories I finally talked to one person at the EO who was willing to help! Persistance pays off I guess.

Message 5 of 6
birjest
Frequent Contributor

I am similar situation.   Although I was not in a dmp, my AMEX Plat card was set up with a payment plan by an law firm that worked for AMEX.  They informed me that, once my account is paid in full, AMEX would send out a card with my account, as they want me to continue be a member.   I owed $13,500 February 15, now I owe $3K.  Account  will be paid in full in 60 days.

As for my Costco card, I paid her in full last month, and was given the Optima card.   

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.