Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Backdating to CO Account

tag
awal
Regular Contributor

American Express Backdating to CO Account

Several years ago I had an AMEX credit card that I couldnt pay. I ultimately ended up paying the balance on the card, but only after it was charged off.  I believe the card went negative sometime in 2008, with the full balance being paid in 2009.

I applied for an AMEX Zync on June 25 2012 - and to my surprise I was approved for a NPSL. I thought that the new card would backdate to 1997, but after one full statment cycle the card is reporting to all CRAs as Opened: June-2012. According to the AMEX website I've been a Member Since 1997, but my Zync card says Member Since 2012. According to the old topics I pulled up here the date on the website is the date that should be reflected on my credit report. I didnt have any activity on the first statement cycle, so maybe once this months activity posts this will be corrected.

Should I call AMEX to request a new card with the correct member since date? I always PIF before the statement cuts, should I allow the card to report a balance one month? In the near future I'm looking to GW the old account off of my credit report, but I dont want to do that until I have the correct backdate on the Zync.

Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express Backdating to CO Account

It's a new account, so reporting its actual open date is clearly not improper.

They can, as a favor, choose to give the benefit of an earlier account date, but I can certainly understand reluctance to do so on an account that was seriously derogatory in the past.

I would certainly make the request, but I see no basis for insisting they do so.

Message 2 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I can speak to the card being dated as 12', as they will not backdate a card to orginial member date if that original account defaulted.

They have (and in my case, did) been known to report subsequent accounts to the CRAs as being opened to the member date as shown when you log in.  I had to wait 3 months for my zync to report, but I was happy to see that they did in fact backdate my account (not the physical card) to 2006, depsite my first and only account with them, being closed and sent to internal collections.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

American Express does not back date the "member since" date on the card or re-issue a card with the prior used account number. I tried to re-open my old AMEX account that I closed and re-opend two years later during a period of unsteady income.  On my cra reports, the old account shows the history for that card. The new Amex shows its respective history and open date. The nice thing about the backdating is that it helps your AAOA number. Yes, it was a pride thing but, they have their reasons!

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@awal wrote:

Several years ago I had an AMEX credit card that I couldnt pay. I ultimately ended up paying the balance on the card, but only after it was charged off.  I believe the card went negative sometime in 2008, with the full balance being paid in 2009.

I applied for an AMEX Zync on June 25 2012 - and to my surprise I was approved for a NPSL. I thought that the new card would backdate to 1997, but after one full statment cycle the card is reporting to all CRAs as Opened: June-2012. According to the AMEX website I've been a Member Since 1997, but my Zync card says Member Since 2012. According to the old topics I pulled up here the date on the website is the date that should be reflected on my credit report. I didnt have any activity on the first statement cycle, so maybe once this months activity posts this will be corrected.

Should I call AMEX to request a new card with the correct member since date? I always PIF before the statement cuts, should I allow the card to report a balance one month? In the near future I'm looking to GW the old account off of my credit report, but I dont want to do that until I have the correct backdate on the Zync.

Yes, Amex does backdate. Chances are if the website says 1997 then your Zync will reflect that year as your opening date. It doesnt matter what the card says. I would just leave it.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there.  First, Kudos on the approval.  Next, I had a similar thing happen with Amex: CO's account.  Recv'd a new card.  New card had 2012 as the member since date but online, it shows the original date (2008).  I phoned Amex to ask about it and they indicated it what is online that counts.  Sure enough, three months after activating the new card it was changed to show date opened as the same as the old PIF CO account.

I've heard folks indicate here in the forums they phoned to ask for a new card with the "correct" member since date and one was sent right out - personally I didn't ask because IMHO the TL date was more important.  Now, the mag-stripe is beginning to wear so I may phone to request a replacement with the new date ... we'll see.  BUT ... Amex does change the TL date and based on what they told me and what I have read: it will be the same as displayed on your online account.

I'm going to wait a few more months then attempt GW'ing the old CO off.  Until then: I have my "new" Amex with a backdated TL date.  Happy Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Zync just reported to the CRA's and it backdated to my charged off card in 2004.  Super stoked, I would call if I were you

Message 7 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I do not believe that Amex will do that. When I voluntarily closed my Amex a few years ago, then subsequently re-applied and re-opened it, Amex backdated the member since in  credit reporting only, and they would not put the "original member since" date on the new card or re-open the old account number. They put the "newest member since date" on my card as well. Additionally, your payment history stays with the old card number and the newest card starts it's own payment history at the "new issue date'.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.