cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Honda Finance Goodwill - Feedback/Opinions Wanted

tag
boozenberry

American Honda Finance Goodwill - Feedback/Opinions Wanted

So here's the deal...I co-signed (like an idiot) on an old gf's car loan.  Things went south, we split up, and she refused to have my name removed from the loan.  Looking at my CR's now, I see that she had a number of late payments...some 30, 60 and 90-days...so I want to GW American Honda Finance and see if they'll remove from my report.  I've looked around and borrowed from others' letters (mainly the first and last paragraphs) and came up with the following, which I'm hoping for feedback on:

"I have always had very positive experiences with American Honda Finance Corporation and hold the company in high regard.  I financed my first Honda through AHFC and then in 2007 was a co-signer on another AHFC loan.

It is with regard to the co-signer account (# 9786xxxx) that this letter has been sent.  While I fully understand the implications and responsibilities that come with co-signing a loan, I must admit that I was entirely unaware of the primary account holder’s struggles in making timely payments.  Had I been made aware of the borrower’s inability to fulfill the financial obligations of the loan, I would most certainly have stepped in and made the required payments.

As is evidenced by all of my current credit accounts, I take timely payments seriously and have been working tirelessly to continually improve my credit profile in the hopes of qualifying for my first home mortgage this year.  However, the late payments shown on this account are making it difficult to achieve this goal.

I request that you give me a second chance at a positive credit rating by making a “goodwill adjustment” on my three credit reports.  I sincerely hope that there is redemption available at American Honda Finance Corporation, and I beg you for such consideration.  Please let me know if you need any additional information, and I thank you for considering my request."

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Honda Finance Goodwill - Feedback/Opinions Wanted

Sounds great!
I didn't know you could refuse to allow someone to be removed from a cosign.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was definitely a silly move on your part. Hope that letter works out and keep us updated. 

Message 3 of 11
boozenberry

From what I understand (and the information given to me could be wrong), the only way to get your name off a loan as a co-signer is if the primary borrower refinances the purchase in their name only.

It was definitely beyond foolish for me to offer such assistance...if only I'd have not been so dumb at that point.

Message 4 of 11
boozenberry

Android,

I agree with you entirely, though I'd use much more scathing terminology to describe my actions.

Also, I've heard of some people addressing the AHFC president directly in the letter...any thoughts here?

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@boozenberry wrote:

Android,

I agree with you entirely, though I'd use much more scathing terminology to describe my actions.

Also, I've heard of some people addressing the AHFC president directly in the letter...any thoughts here?

GW letters should always be mailed to the office of the CEO.

Message 6 of 11
boozenberry

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on how the letter went...

Got a call from the AHFC office today and spoke with a very pleasant, helpful woman.  Although she was not able to make any goodwill adjustment on my account, she assured me this was only because the primary borrower had a markedly poor payment history over the loan term.  Had there been a handful of 30-day-lates, for example, she could have done something.  But because there were 60's and also 90's she was unable to make an adjustment.  

She recommended I contact the 3 bureaus to have a note added to the account stating I was not the primary and was never notified of late payments so I couldn't fulfill my financial obligation (AHFC also had outdated contact info for me from the dealer so I never heard from them either).

Doesn't help me any, in this case, but for anyone else out there looking and hoping to straighten out their history with AHFC, it at least sounds like they're willing to work with you if your delinquencies aren't outrageous.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@boozenberry wrote:

Got a call from the AHFC office today and spoke with a very pleasant, helpful woman.  Although she was not able to make any goodwill adjustment on my account, she assured me this was only because the primary borrower had a markedly poor payment history over the loan term.  Had there been a handful of 30-day-lates, for example, she could have done something.  But because there were 60's and also 90's she was unable to make an adjustment.  

She recommended I contact the 3 bureaus to have a note added to the account stating I was not the primary and was never notified of late payments so I couldn't fulfill my financial obligation (AHFC also had outdated contact info for me from the dealer so I never heard from them either).

Doesn't help me any, in this case, but for anyone else out there looking and hoping to straighten out their history with AHFC, it at least sounds like they're willing to work with you if your delinquencies aren't outrageous.

Will you PM me the contact info you have for Honda Financial. I'm researching online for a e-mail address or mailing address for the executive offices and can't locate anything!! thanks!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

will you also PM the contact info you used. I am in a similar situation only I had one late payment back in 2013 due to the vehicle being totaled out before the 1st payment was ever due and gap didnt cover the rest of the vehicle in time. i have had 2 more auto loans with them since then, currently in a 2014 honda accord, never been late on any subsequent account. I think some goodwill is due here!

Message 9 of 11
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@boozenberry wrote:

Bringing back this thread.

If anyone has had any luck removing 30 day late, please PM me the phone number or email address.  This is the only baddie left on my report.

Thanks!

Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.