Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Judgement

Hello everyone! Can anyone tell me what luck they have had settling an am ex judgement? Would it be worth it to have a bk lawyer take care of it for me? If anyone has had a bk lawyer take care of a judgement how much did you pay him/her? Also I'm scared to build up a large savings account in fears of it being garnished. They have yet to come after me and it's been at least 5 years. Would I be protected if I shared a savings with my mother and she was the primary on the account? Thanks ahead of time for anyone who takes the time to read and respond! =]
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Judgement

The only way a BK lawyer can 'take care' of a judgment is to file bankruptcy for you - is that what you want? how much is the judgment for? what other debts do you have? How much is you annual income?

BK-7 usually costs around $1K for the lawyer.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read somewhere a settlement letter with a bk lawyer letter head was usually more persuasive? It's a little over 5 k. I make pretty good money but I have another 25k in collections (medical and cc) and 30 k in student loans. Quite a bit of the cc debt will fall off in a year. I don't want to file bk if I can avoid it.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eh, seems like a reasonable strategy. Contact a local BK attorney and ask them if they will do it.

You may need to contact them to find out the current baalance - its probably grown quite a bit. Interest and all....

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't currently have enough money saved up to even offer a settlement. I just want to prepare. I'm worried if I make contact they will garnish my check or freeze bank accounts. That's why I was hoping if I opened a savings with my Mom as a primary they couldn't go after it?
Message 5 of 9
Shokk
Established Contributor

No idea the laws on a joint account, but I would assume you'd want to keep your name off it completely.  And hope you can trust your mom with your money. Smiley Happy

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have to KNOW about accounts to freeze/seize them. Generally they only sniff around for local bank accounts. I would just put money in a smaller bank or CU online thats has no physical presence anywhere near you. Lots of them out there.

If you do call they may ask about employment and assets, but they can't force you to answer.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't lose any sleep at night when I knew my credit was screwed up. But when capitalone approved me for an unsecured card it kinda lit a fired under my *** =)
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fire*
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.