Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Americollect paid Collection with mispelled name listed

tag
TsuSurf
Contributor

Americollect paid Collection with mispelled name listed

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of repairing my credit and I need some help. Recently I have been filing disputes with cra and have been able to get all but 2 collections removed. The current one I'm dealing with is from a CA Americollect(OC is People's Gas). This collection is from 2009 when my dad wanted my SS# to put the gas bill in my name when I was living with him(he screwed up his name). I was hesistant to give it to him but he guilt tripped me into giving it to him plus it was winter, we needed heat. I know I shouldn't have done it but I was inexperienced with credit and forgot about it. When I moved out and he moved out he never paid. A Collection popped up on my report for $556 3/2012. I paid it 07/2012 over the phone with card. I should have tried to do a PFD but I didn't know at the time and thought once I paid it they would not respond to dispute.

Fast forward to today I'm trying to get it removed. I have disputed it online as not mine I believe, and it was verified. It appears on EQ and TU, I was able to remove it from EX by luck. Now the thing with this collection is it is under a mispelled name. For example if my name is John Doe. It is listed as Jhon Doe. First name is misspelled. Is there a way for me to get this deleted seeing as it is reporting incorrectly. I have removed the misspelled name from my reports and have deleted old addresses. I believe Americollect is strict as far as GW are concerned and don't delete. What is a good plan of action to have this collection deleted. It is one of two old collections that is holding me back. The other I think I could get deleted through GW. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Americollect paid Collection with mispelled name listed

Keep sending GWs. They had already verified it anyway and a repeat dispute would be more of the same. A misspelled name doesn't make the account any less valid/incorrect. Now if the account wasn't yours at all, then that'd be different (e.g. Mary Jane vs. John Doe).

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Inaccuracies in credit reporting are never, per se, a basis for compelling deletion of the information.

They always have the option to simply correct their reporting so as to overcome any inaccuracy.  Deletion is only required if they cannot either correct the information or verify its accuracy. 

The reporting of inaccurate information is not a violation of the FCRA unless the party had knowledge of its inaccuracy at the time of reporting.

No one is held legally accountable for unintentional errors.

Message 3 of 4
TsuSurf
Contributor

I guess all I can do now is GW them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.