Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Equifax Puzzle.

tag
copperrain
Valued Member

An Equifax Puzzle.

Equifax reported a balance and past due balance on an account that was discharged in my Chapter 13. The account was actually showing on my EQ report as IIB but with a balance. I wrote to the original creditor and got a letter back saying it was IIB, should be 0 balance so I provided that to EQ in my dispute. Got a confirmation from EQ that the account was updated to $0 then 2 weeks later, it was showing the balance again. So I filed a complaint with CFPB and just got a response that EQ updated my account to IIB (which it already was) but they didn't update the balance. But here's the puzzle -- my score went up 17 points from 651 to 668, putting me back in the 'good' territory at long last. Now it's my best score! According to myfico alerts, on the same day they made the non-change to the disputed account, EQ made some other changes to my IIB accounts, mainly changing the dates of last activity to 2008 and 2009. Maybe that's the reason for the score jump?

So here's the question: do I just forget about the past due balance issue since I have the letter saying there's no balance due and my score went up? And since EQ is clearly incapable of making simple, legally required corrections? The account will drop off in Sept. 2016.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.