Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An account closed and promise to remove an old account

tag
SeandSki
Established Member

An account closed and promise to remove an old account

Hi tere.  I'm new to these forums, so forgive me if this is a question that's been answered many times before.

First off, I rarely use credit. I had a lot of problems with it in college 20 or so years ago and since then, the lesson learned was... "if you can't afford to buy it with cash, you can't have it.  If you really want it, save up for it."

Consequently, I don't have the greatest credit history in the world.  I have a student loan that is paid on time, one secured credit card with a $500 limit, no mortgage, no auto loans.  

My FICO score (via this website) was 710.  I had a derogatory note on my record from an old utility bill I forgot to pay off about 4 years ago (about $90).

I sent the collection agency a pay for delete offer letter, received a response saying the account was closed, and they would remove it from my report. 

Today, my score dropped by 30 points!!!

What happened?   This was the report: 

XXX FINANCIAL GROUP
Opened: Not on Record

Should I have ignored it completely?   I'm really disheartened here, but more convinced than ever...credit is just bad news all around.

Any advice?  
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: An account closed and promise to remove an old account

Removing a CA will not hurt your score. I would pull that report (looks to be EQ) and look line by line to see what is up. Something else must have happened. Look for any new accounts, any removed accounts, new lates, date changes, increased balances, etc.
Message 2 of 4
SeandSki
Established Member

Thanks so much for your response.   I pulled the equifax report and it appears... this old account, (the one I sent a pay for delete offer to) has been listed as a new account?

1 new account was added to your credit report
NCO FINANCIAL GROUP  (XXXX8311)
Opened: Not on Record

That is the very same account I was trying to remove.   
I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It could be that NCO saw your PFD, maybe mistook it for a DV or something like that, and pulled it from the CRAs. After they looked it over, then maybe they put it back on.

I would send NCO a DV first. Let them tell you what this debt is for. After they do so, then offer the PFD. If they accept, then they will delete.

To be sure, make sure those account numbers from NCO match on your old report vs. this new alert from EQ. In other words, make sure they aren't trying to collect on two different accounts.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.