R8RDude

Another Cap 1 CC

I have a CO with Cap 1. I'd like to obtain another Cap 1 card to help rebuild my credit. I don't want to apply and have a hard inq, if I'm just going to be denied. Is Cap 1 forgiving, or should I go elsewhere?
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Another Cap 1 CC

I've heard of folks with a paid CO CapOne  being approved for a new CC with them. However, the inquiry is not the only thing you need to worry about. CapOne pulls all 3 CRs when apping, so you'd have to worry about three of them.

I blacklisted CapOne for that very reason and I wouldn't recommend them, IMO.
R8RDude

Who would you recommend? I've thought about Orchard Bank, but they have somewhat high annual fee.
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

R8RDude wrote:
Who would you recommend? I've thought about Orchard Bank, but they have somewhat high annual fee.

I started with scores in low to mid-500s. Started with Credit One, Orchard secured, Juniper, Macys, Bloomingdales, BofA, Target, and National City. Started last August with 0 CCs and progressed from there. The biggest problem I faced was dealing with CCs I didn't want to deal with (Juniper, Credit One, Orchard, and Target), and also being stuck with low limit, high-fee cards.

If I had to start over again, I would save all the $$$ I could and get a large limit secured CC and focus on BofA, Citi, CUs, and other banks and get 2-3 secured cards. Some banks like BofA will return the money after a year anyway. I'd probably then add a store card like Macys to add to the mix.

Getting over that initial hump of low-limit cards is tough. I finally got National City at $2000 with scores in the upper 600s after 9 months. DW was in the same boat and finally got her first $1000 CC from BofA last week after 9 months too. It always made me sick to see people posting in here with a 600 score getting CCs at $10k plus. Large part of that was due to the others at or near $10k limits they had already.
Frequent Contributor
bridgetkaryn

I just got a BofA card, it only has a $500 limit (The one I got is a card for people with crappy credit, it is a $59 annual fee I believe) but from what I read on the credit card board (i would check them out too... they are great) they are really good about bumping up your limit on a regular basis if you pay on time and don't go over the limit...

Good luck!
Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}