Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Credit Builder

tag
topa
Regular Contributor

Another Credit Builder

I'm reposting here given that it looks I posted in the wrong thread.

Just joined myFICO today.

Here's my deal - I've had a pretty solid credit history for a long time, until very recently. I'm still trying to figure out how this occurred but we didn't pay 2 credit cards for about 4 months. The sad thing is, the balances were negligent (Discover $75 and Toys R US $58), I rarely use these cards and they are basically $0 balance.

Additionally, not knowing that it would impact my score - I kept high balances on 2 credit cards and a line of credit (Citi $8.2k, Chase $5.2k and Citi LOC $1.5k). I also have a Citi card that was closed with a balance remaining and I've been paying well above the minimum payments (3 times the minimum), for $3k. I had been trying to pay off the balances for the last 2 years - which also didn't appear to help much either. One card (Discover $20k) was closed after I paid off the entire balance ($12k). All of these issues have crashed myFICO score to 627.  TU is 660, EQ is 659 and EX is 640.

I recently made a large payment to Citi for $4k, and Citi lowered my credit limit from $8.2k to $6k. I also paid off the Chase card ($5.2k) and the Citi line of credit ($1.5k)

I'm not sure how much it'll help - but the only credit card balances remaining are (Citi $4k and Citi $3k) - which I intend to pay off completely within the next month (can't wait!!! :smileyhappy:). My credit limit currently sits at a measely $11k - truly amazing IMO.  I'm also unsure if the creditors will continue to do balance chasing on me - I hope not.

The worst part? I have never owned a home and am committed to buying this summer (I have a family) - so this crisis has arrived at exactly at the wrong time.

Starting Score: 600 (Jan 2014)
Current MyFICO Scores: EQ: 712 | TU: 706 | EX: 702
Current Bureau Scores: EQ Beacon 5.0: 682 | TU FICO Classic 04: 740 | EX FICO V2: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 78
77 REPLIES 77
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Another Credit Builder

@topa wrote:

I'm reposting here given that it looks I posted in the wrong thread.

Just joined myFICO today.

Here's my deal - I've had a pretty solid credit history for a long time, until very recently. I'm still trying to figure out how this occurred but we didn't pay 2 credit cards for about 4 months. The sad thing is, the balances were negligent (Discover $75 and Toys R US $58), I rarely use these cards and they are basically $0 balance.

Additionally, not knowing that it would impact my score - I kept high balances on 2 credit cards and a line of credit (Citi $8.2k, Chase $5.2k and Citi LOC $1.5k). I also have a Citi card that was closed with a balance remaining and I've been paying well above the minimum payments (3 times the minimum), for $3k. I had been trying to pay off the balances for the last 2 years - which also didn't appear to help much either. One card (Discover $20k) was closed after I paid off the entire balance ($12k). All of these issues have crashed myFICO score to 627.  TU is 660, EQ is 659 and EX is 640.

I recently made a large payment to Citi for $4k, and Citi lowered my credit limit from $8.2k to $6k. I also paid off the Chase card ($5.2k) and the Citi line of credit ($1.5k)

I'm not sure how much it'll help - but the only credit card balances remaining are (Citi $4k and Citi $3k) - which I intend to pay off completely within the next month (can't wait!!! :smileyhappy:). My credit limit currently sits at a measely $11k - truly amazing IMO.  I'm also unsure if the creditors will continue to do balance chasing on me - I hope not.

The worst part? I have never owned a home and am committed to buying this summer (I have a family) - so this crisis has arrived at exactly at the wrong time.

Pay them off dont worry about the balance chasing, once you have paid them off look to less visible lenders, I dont like City, Amex, Chase, BoA, Barclays at all and have 0 cards from them, find some CUs to get in with and get their credit products they rarely do balance chasing and you will be in a better place for having done so. It wont matter if your limits fall if you keep the utilization in check relative to a cards CL. I would GW those 2 late accounts and push hard to get them to do it.

Message 2 of 78
topa
Regular Contributor

Thanks gdale6!

Yup, I'm doing exactly as you oulined. Will be paying off all balances and will only keep a small balance in one card. I'm also disputing them as well. Fingers crossed as I will need my score to get a mortgage pretty soon.

Current Bureau Scores: EQ Beacon 5.0: 682 | TU FICO Classic 04: 740 | EX FICO V2: 706

Message 3 of 78
topa
Regular Contributor

As I mentioned on my original post, I paid off a CC and brought down the balance from $8,200 to $3,800 last month. Upon receipt of the payment, my CL was lowered to $6,000. The interesting thing is that the lower balance is still not reflected on my account. The creditor reported last month on the 12th. I called to ask when they report to the beaurues and was told at the end of the month. So my balance for that account still shows $8,200.

Another creditor received a payment of $150 - and updated my account. My credit score went up to 633 just for that. I am happy to see that a small payment had such a huge impact and can't wait to see what will happen when I pay off both accounts.

Message 4 of 78
topa
Regular Contributor

Yoohoo...

Citi updated my balance today and my score went up to 667. That's a 40 point increase from March 7th. Can't wait to pay off the remaining balances - my goal is 750.

Message 5 of 78
topa
Regular Contributor

Update: Another Credit Builder

So Chase charged $11 dollars in interest/fees for an account which I had paid off last month (about $5000).

Just this dropped my FICO to 663 - 4 whole points. I sent the check immediately after getting the alert.

I'm also waiting for another CC to get added to my report - my wife got 2 new credit cards with total balance of $17000. I already got the alert for one of the accounts ($8400) and am waiting for the other one ($7500). That should help bring my utilization down, currently at 35%.

I'm also making a few moves to pay off the remaining balances on 2 accounts - I'll put up the accounts on a spreadsheet for easier tracking and will post next time.

Finally, I got a letter from Citi who had lowered my CL from $8000 to $6000, stating that they had made the decision because my FICO had hit 600 in January. I was not aware since I had not pulled my credit report since early last year. I'll update my starting score with that score.

Message 6 of 78
topa
Regular Contributor

Update 1: Another Credit Builder

I got around to creating the table with my current status. As you can see from the below, my utilization came down from 82% in February to 35% this month. This came up when I pulled my credit report March 7th, my utilization was 35%. I had also paid off the credit line ($1500) but had to tap into that for a few unforseen payments. As I mentioned on my previous post, my goal is to pay the Citi Credit Line, the Citi Diamond and the Citi card by next month, bringing my utilzation down to basically 0%.

After that, I will focus on paying off my car loan. With the exception of a mortgage, which I'm hoping to get this year, I am expectiving to be debt free by mid 2015. I have yet to hear back with regards to the good will letters I sent. I may have to keep sending as suggested here.

Credit LimitPrevious Balance (Feb 2014)Previous UtilizationPaidCurrent Balance (March 2014)Current UtilizationStatus
Chase5000460092%460000%Paid
Citi Credit Line15001500100%15001500100%Pending
Citi Diamond6040820099%4800442373%Pending
Citi Card (closed)03000NAPaying Monthly2940Account ClosedPending
Kohl's card40022055%22000%Paid
Toys R US Card250160.2864%160.2800%Paid
Discover IT50000%000%NA
Citi Premier (Wife)84000NA000%NA
Chase Slate (Wife)75000NA000%NA
Student Loan24500Paying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPending
Car Loan5789Paying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPaying MonthlyPending
   82%  35% 

Message 7 of 78
topa
Regular Contributor

Re: Update 1: Another Credit Builder

I just paid off the credit line ($1500), my utilization is now down to 24%. 

Message 8 of 78
topa
Regular Contributor

Toys R US Updated My Credit Report

It appears as if the lates on my Toys R US card have been removed, I got a Credit Alert this morning telling me the status of the account had changed, up from 663 to 670. This is one of the lates I had disputed and had sent GW letters to. I will confirm whether this is the case the next time I re-pull my report, which I will do once I hear back on the remaining 2 GWs.

I also uncovered another late for which I missed sending a GW - a Citi account for which I was late in August. Aside from that, I've never been late in the account since 2008. I have the letter prep'ed and will send it tomorrow.

I'm anxious to get my updates next month which should reflect all the accounts I paid down to zero, and my wife's new accounts. I'm also shooting to have all my credit card balances paid.

Message 9 of 78
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Keep up the good work.

Your story should be of inspiration to others that with hard work and patience, it can be done.

Keep us posted.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 10 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.